Add a Condition to Automation

Hey all,

In the new automations dashboard, is it possible to add a conditional action - one that only runs if a condition is met.

My use case is that I’m trying to create a 2-way sync with a Google calendar. If I create an event in Google Calendar, I want it to first search my base by event ID to see if it already exists. If it does not, then I want it to create a new record. If it does, then I want it to update any fields that have changed in Google.

I may be going about this all wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joel

Currently there is not a no-code way of having conditional actions in Airtable automations. You can include conditional logic in a Scripting action.

It seems like conditional automations will be coming soon to Airtable, but nobody outside of Airtable staff knows when that will happen.

In the meantime, as @kuovonne said, you can write your own conditional JavaScripts.

For non-coders, my personal favorite way to create conditional automations is to use Integromat. It’s immensely powerful yet very easy to use… it’s just point and click and drag! :slight_smile:

I guess I don’t understand how the Update function works, then. How does it identify which record needs to be updated without first searching for a unique ID?

I can’t figure out how to create 2-way sync either, because if I set up automations to go both directions, it creates a loop that will start duplicating events indefinitely.

The automation was first designed so that the record to be updated was the triggering record.

1 Like