Add Child Records without Spawning New Parent Records

I have created tables for our customers and the text messages we send/receive through our landline texting service.

I built the parent/child relationship but have found that when a new record is added to the text table, it automatically creates a new customer. Some texts are with vendors and the occasional inbound spam. They don’t need to be added to the customer table. Is there a way to only link to existing records vs automatically creating a record. Orphans are ok in this scenario.

Linking to an existing record will depend on how your new record and how the new customer are created. Are you using a Zapier or Integromat integration? If so, you will need rework the integration to do a search for the existing customer instead of creating a new customer.

Thanks for Jumping in @kuovonne.

I’m using Zapier to collect the texts and push them to the Texts table in Airtable, however when a new record (phone number) is added to the Texts table (which is fine) it does a link to the Parent (customers) table and adds a blank record in the customers table. I’m not sure that Zapier can look that deep AND I still want the texts in the log. I just don’t want them in the customer table. Does that make sense?

This topic was solved and automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.