cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thierry_Gattlen
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello,

Is there a possibility to add automatically in a table a number of records in mass ?

For example, in an order table, a company orders 150 tickets which will be produced from a ticket record. I would like to add 150 rows in the ticket record table automatically knowing the order has been confirmed.

Thanks for your help

6 Replies 6

If you mean, can you do so by formula – something like

IF(OrderConfirmed = TRUE,[Add 150 rows],[Do nothing])

– the answer is no, as Airtable has no scripting ability. However, you could probably accomplish this by way of a third-party middleware package, such as Zappier. Alternatively, you could also handle this procedurally – as in, write an employee procedure that instructs the user to take certain steps when the order is confirmed. The step you would likely have him or her perform would be this:

When the order is confirmed, mark and copy 150 [whatevers: blank lines, partial records, complete records] from an existing document or spreadsheet. Return to the Airtable base, place your cursor in the appropriate field, and press Ctrl-V to paste the blank/partial/whatever records into the base. You will be prompted as to whether you wish to expand the base. Say ‘yes.’

When you paste records beyond the end of a table, Airtable will expand the base, adding records as needed. However, in my limited exposure to this feature, it also seems to add them some times when they aren’t needed. I haven’t figured out what I was doing that caused things to turn out so strangely – admittedly, I was pasting 250 random dates into a linked record field keyed to a datestring, so I was creating new records in multiple tables. Still, I kept finding myself with 470+ records instead of the 250 I had intended…

Thierry_Gattlen
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank-you for your answer. I will stop searching in the documentation.

I have used the stop and go procedure via a spreadsheet but I found this a bit complicated to explain to a colleague. I have put some count and rollup field to try to check the process.

Definitively, a sort of script in Airtable would help in many cases.

have a good day

Thierry

Thomas_Jaccino
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

What system are you using for input?

Im on Mac with the desktop Airtable application.

Thomas_Jaccino
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Oh, I was thinking you were trying to do this in an automated way. If you have the data in excel or google sheets you can just copy and paste whole cell ranges.

You are right, I would like to do it automatically. When an enterprise via a form order 150 tickets I would like to create 150 records in the table ticket with some specifications (company name, date of the event…)
The data are not on excel, using an intermediate spreadsheet is the only way I found to quickly produce the records that I manually past in the Airtable ticket table.
Hope to be clearer in my explanation.
Regards