Advanced User Permissions

The lack of security is the one aspect which is making our company question whether Airtable is right for us.
User stories:
As the creator of a base, I want to share this base as read-only with other selected people.
As the owner of the data in the base I want to avoid anyone from sharing the read-only link outside a certain domain.

1 Like

• 1 to this post. This is 1 reason why our company doesn’t want to purchase airtable licenses… needs better security to hide certain tables/views from users.
3 Likes

Same here. A very needed functionality.

1 Like

I want to be able to invite Collaborators to a Base, and have it to where they are only able to view/edit records they are assigned to.

What are the chances of this ever happening?

0 Likes

Any response from Airtable on this? Per-table security is a must!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more! As we look to leverage Airtable as an enterprise solution, the ability to set user permissions is huge! In our organization for example, we need the ability to provision someone into a workspace for a specific project task, without giving them access to everything in the workspace. Privacy is key as we have certain more ‘confidential’ projects we are working on at any given time. Would love an update on timeline for bringing this to the platform. Thanks Airtable!

3 Likes

Same. I have a view that I can share with my collaborator right now, but they can’t edit anything unless I add them as a user to the whole base.

Is there a way to restrict the editing to just one table, without giving them access to all tables in the base, at least?

1 Like

Here is a pretty simple example that is NOT complex. The majority of Airtable’s users CAN comprehend a simple diagram. If they couldn’t comprehend the image below, Airtable wouldn’t even exist in the first place.

The amount of $$ in development of this feature will be paid back to Airtable in the matter of days with the amount of Enterprise customers switching over.

Here is an example of what is possible. Their system is very much set up like Airtables. I just don’t see why this is that big of a “technical hurdle”

3 Likes

Agreed. I cannot convince my directors to sign off on an Enterprise subscription until there is user or user-group level security.

It seems that a unix-like user-group system would work wonderfully. Attaching users to various groups, and groups to various views.

Most users do not need to create views.

0 Likes

Something along the lines of this would be amazing.
Collaborator options at View level/Table Level.

6 Likes

One more request for robust user permissions. My use case is that a staff person processes our payroll and invoicing in an Airtable base for which they must be able to add/update/move/delete data. But the payroll and invoicing are subsequently used to generate information for a gross/net profit table in the same base that only management should be able to see. I should have read the AirTable documentation more carefully before devoting months to getting this in place because now, without the user permissions, it is a dead brick for us.

I see this thread going back to 2016, almost three years. That’s disappointing. One can buy the “we are proceeding cautiously to make sure we get it right” response for only so long, especially on basic access/security fundamentals.

2 Likes

@Airtable_Support has there been any progress/updates on this? What would be beneficial for me is (as an owner) be able to create “personal views” and specific tables for my sales members, where the filters and hidden fields that “I set up” can not be modified by the sales member. I would like to be able to have 1 table with all sales by the whole sales team but they can only see their sales.

So as the “base owner” i need to see all views that i create, but i want my sales team to only see the views that i allow them to see. They should not be able to remove filters or unhide fields that i set. If they are able to create personal views then those personal views should also include the filters and hidden fields that i have created in their primary view.

I would also like to be able to hide entire tables from some or all other members as well.

I guess the easiest way to do this would be to add a “Hide” feature to entire tables, or hiding specific views and or columns within a table from “All members” or only the “Selected Members”. Having these additional permission levels to Tables, Views and Columns would be great.

I do understand that using the API this can be done on my website BUT, a big part of the reason for using Airtable directly is the ease of use for your mobile apps and having the ability to just open the Airtable app to view, edit or add data on the go with a view that looks great on a mobile device vs everyone having to log into the website everytime to make adjustments. I would imagine that this is the case for most of us

9 Likes

Please Please Please make this happen!
I’m sharing the entire base with a client because he must be able to edit a very specific set of data (one table). But doing so they can edit my entire base, screwing all the system at will and, more importantly, they can see ALL the data of ALL the tables (eg. other clients tables). Which is absolutely a no go for my specific case

1 Like

Working with a nonprofit with sensitive user data. We need to specify which users have access to sensitive information in columns. right now, I plan on exporting the airtable to an excel sheet that has coded fields in place of names/identification. But that’s not a good solution. We may have to move entirely off of airtable to excel, because it’s easier for us to code sensitive data.

1 Like

Is their a timeline for this? @Howie_Liu

0 Likes

I am also eager for some level of permissions on tables (or possibly fields).

We use Airtable to manage projects for a design company. It’s meant to be a central project tracking source for the entire company. That includes financial information related to the project that, frankly, not everyone needs to see.

One option we’ve considered is duplicating the project info into a separate base, but that defeats the purpose of having a centralized system.

I’m disappointed that years later after this thread began, there are still no developments on this front and no updates from the Airtable team as to progress or what to expect. I’m hoping this is still actively being worked on.

0 Likes

Hi there, I second what Jon_Thomas said - I want a central project tracking base for the entire company but I don’t want most of the employees seeing the financial side - there should be a permission level that doesn’t allow them to create new views so that they can’t see any columns you have hidden from their view but still allows them to edit. And you should be able to assign collaborators to specific views in such a way that they can’t see other views or make new views that would allow them to see columns that have been blocked from them. If you could make it so that they can move their visible columns around within their view to their preference and sort/filter only the viewable columns, that would be even better, but even adding a permissions level where they cannot make new views or change the views you assign to them would go a long way. This should be a top priority for Airtable, as it is vital. \

Also, and this is a bit different but… being able to lock columns in a view so that, say, an employee can see how many hours of their time were budgeted for a project but can’t accidentally change it.

0 Likes

we can make main view write only and rest all linked tables with options as read only !!

0 Likes