Help

Allow Form User to Reference/Lookup/Link a non-Primary field?

1318 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathan_Renner-J
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello!

I am creating a form for a table (let’s call it Table A) which has fields linking to another table (table B) in the same base.

When filling out the field on the form on Table A, the user can only see the data in the primary field of Table B. However many of the records in Table B have similar primary field data making them difficult to distinguish. Being able to see one (or multiple) of the other fields would be really helpful.

For the time being, I’ve made the primary field on Table B a formula that merges the most helpful relevant fields from that table, but it makes all my Table B views very messy/ugly. I wish this formula could be in a non-primary field so I could hide it, but then my Table A form wouldn’t show it.

Please tell me there’s something stupidly easy I’m missing! Is there a way for a form to reference/show any thing BUT the primary data? Or is there a workaround I can use with another table?

Cheers,
Nathan

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Nathan_Renner-Johns1!

Unfortunately, you are not missing anything. This is one of the limitations in Airtable.

But the good news is that you can accomplish this with Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable.

Fillout is 100% free and it is the #1 best form tool for Airtable. It offers multi-page forms, conditional paths for pages, accepting payments on forms, updating Airtable records from a form, creating linked records on a form, specifying the maximum number of linked records, displaying lookup fields & formulas & rollup fields on forms, and dozens of advanced Airtable-specific features that are not available in Airtable’s native forms.

Everything that you asked about in your post above can be handled by Fillout.

Best of all, Fillout has direct, live, real-time communication with Airtable. There is no better form tool on the market that has better communication with Airtable than Fillout, because it was built from the ground up to work with Airtable.

I even gave a brief demonstration of Fillout on this episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrqXdRNmQIY&list=PLqssva4liHRwHhQIpTXekG8WObEoyC2F1

palio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am starting to give up. @airtable please make possible to make a simple vlookup on non primary columns