Help

Allowing users to send files: formula for mailto?

2449 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jolene_Smith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m trying to figure out how to enable external users to send me file based on a record in a view.

The last column will eventually be a mechanism for users to send me files, although I realize attachments is out since these users will not be logged in.

Can I change the column type to Formula and specify mailto: something like this?

mailto:myemail@addre.ss?subject=The Contents of A Spefic Record Field"

I found reference that mailto would work in this forum post but kept getting an Invalid Formula error, even before I tried to reference a record value. Any advice? Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Sean_Kahn
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Jolene, did you ever figure this out? I’m trying to do something similar.

You’d want to use a URL field for this, not a Formula field.

Other than that, you’re on the right track.

Here are some references for using mailto: URL’s:

mailto

mailto is a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) scheme for email addresses. It is used to produce hyperlinks on websites that allow users to send an email to a specific address without first having to copy it and enter it into an email client. It was originally defined in Request for Comments (RFC) 2368, published in July 1998, and refined in RFC 6068, published in October 2010. Using "mailto" within an HTML document to generate a link for sending email: It is also possible to specify initial va...

Jolene_Smith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I confess I dropped this idea, but I’ll try again with the URL field. Hope you find some success! I’ll definitely have another look, as well. Thanks for your responses.