3334 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juse
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a table where I track sessions with customers. I’d like each customer to have a session number that automatically increments over time. That means that this number would not be unique in the table. Is there a way to automate this?

Something like this:

John Smith 12/18/2021 1
Nancy Blume 12/19/2021 1
John Smith 12/20/2021 2

#autonumber

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @juse! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

A while back I built a way to do this through a linked table, though I don’t recommend using that original method now. In the same thread, though, I’m beginning to share some ways of pulling this off via scripting. The first script is manually run, so anyone can use it:

I’ve got plans on building an automation-driven script next, but it’s tough to say when that will be available. Bookmark that thread if you’re interested in following the progress.

EDIT: After posting this comment I had an epiphany. There’s a way to automate this without using a script. Check that other thread for the process (written description only for now, but I’ll record a video demo as soon as I can.)

Two methods of custom autonumbering (with and without scripting) were covered on the Built On Air podcast:

as well as these two threads (which are referenced in that episode of the podcast: