Automated email 2 days in advance of a deadline

Hi everyone! I’m new to Airtable and would like to setup an automated email reminder that triggers 2 days before a given deadline date placed in one column of an Airtable base. Ideally, this date could either be a new record or an updated existing record, triggering the same email reminder 2 days before due. And the email reminder would include all the pertinent data from other cells in the deadline’s row.

I really liked a similar feature in Google Sheets called “Remind” but it’s not functional anymore.

Thanks for your suggestions@!

Hi there Julie!

I would recommend using Zapier for this. You can create up to 5 Zaps for free.

I would start by creating a view that shows only records with a due date of 2 days from today. Your Zap would be triggered by a new record added to that view. Airtable provides a helpful article on how to set up a Zap for this purpose here (Example 2 probably would be the best match):

One caveat… a Zap will only trigger once for a particular record. Let’s say your deadline is 2 days away, and the Zap triggers the email alert. Then, for whatever reason, you extend the deadline. Once the new deadline is two days away, you won’t get the alert for that record.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the idea! I do need to find a solution where the deadline date can be revised/updated and the email triggers again, 2 day before the new deadline. Sounds like Zap wouldn’t do that. Bummer.

Appreciate any further suggestions!

I have found a workaround to this problem, but it is somewhat complicated and involves using two Zaps. If you’re interested, I can try and explain :slight_smile: Also, it might be worth looking into Integromat… It’s similar to Zapier but seems to be a bit more robust. I haven’t had much experience with it, but it might be able to trigger more than once on a particular record.

Awesome! I’m into trying your two Zaps workaround. I think you’re right about Integromat, but I had trouble setting it up. Thanks a bunch for the help.

Awesome! I remembered that I actually explained this to someone else in the forum once before, so rather than typing it all up again; I’ll direct you to this reply:

The above reply and sample base it links to is describing a situation where the tasks are due today, but it can easily be adjusted for tasks that are due two days from now.

I realize this approach is complicated, and I’m happy to answer any questions you might have!

1 Like