7892 15
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Werner
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi - new here - this is probably an easy question. I did search the forums but perhaps not using the correct terminology.

I am trying to create an aggregate view summarizing data from a form people are filling out on a website.

They are selecting from a dropdown indicating their geographical location - there are 40 or so selections to choose from.

I then want to count all the people that choose a particular region and display that data

People who chose A = 23
People who chose B= 16
and so on…

I am close…I have created a linked table based on the selection - problem is that the drop down field can only be a dropdown field (field A) - I cannot also link that field to the new table displaying the aggregate data.

So my solution was to make a new field (field B) in the initial table and link that - it works, but only if I manually copy the value from field A to field B.

So my question is - when someone fills out the form online, how to I make the Table automatically copy the entry from field A to field B to summarize the data.

Please and thanks!

Brian

15 Replies 15

If you want only see the Counter, you can Group By that Location field, that automatically shows a counter in the group.

If not, I think you should use Zapier to automate the coping of the values between the 2 fields.

Brian_Werner
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks for the reply Elias! trying just to summarize and not show the primary field (last name) in this case…maybe Zapier is what I need to do - one more system to learn, I thought this would be simple!

thanks

Brian

Andy_Lin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Can you elaborate on why the dropdown field cannot be a linked field? Functionally, aside from colour-coding, a linked field should be able to serve in exactly the same role as a dropdown.

However, if the concern is privacy, the other thing you can do is convert the primary field to a formula, and have it copy the region field (Airtable is okay with non-unique primary field data, which is a mixed blessing). That way, you can summarize based on groups and simply hide the columns with personally identifying information when sharing/embedding.

What you mean? You can collapse Groups so you only see the group criteria (Locations in this case), the Counter, and the Fields you haven’t hidden.

Brian_Werner
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

can i perhaps share my tables with you so you can see what I’m trying to do? perhaps I am over-complicating it.

thx
Brian

Brian_Werner
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

My challenge is in the first table (Signed Petition) making the Single Select fields “Type of Organization” and “Co-op Membership” copy into “Membership Copied” and “Type Copied” so that I can make the new tables “Aggregate Individuals” and “Aggregate Type” update automatically as people sign the petition.

Hope this makes sense - thank YOU!

Brian

Brian_Werner
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Those copied fields ("Membership Copied” and “Type Copied”) are used with a “Link to another record field” to create the new table if not obvious

how can it be both? it seems like when I click on the header and go into Customize Field Type I do not have an option to choose both…