Help

Automatically updating linked record fields (Best practice?)

Topic Labels: Automations
817 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cycle_Cycle
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

:wave: Hey there!

Trying to understand best practice in terms of how I can keep a linked record field automatically in-sync. Here’s some context and how Im currently accomplishing it:

I have two main tables:

1. Students
  2. Classes

Each student will be put into one of the following classes based on their "comfortability with the force"

The goal: Keep each class list of students updated without having to manually select or put them in that table.

How Im currently accomplishing it:

Screenshot for reference

I have a column that is filled via a form (scale of 1-5) and then I have an automation running that simply says:

• When record matches condition: Comfortable using force level = 1 (#1 in screenshot)
  • Then: Update that record as someone for the beginner class (#3 in screenshot)

This then updates the link record field in my classes table.

Is this best practice in terms of how to keep my class roster/table automatically updated? It feels a little clunky. Thanks! Any help you can give is super appreciated

2 Replies 2
Cycle_Cycle
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

No help for a poor young soul such as me? :cry:

hi @Cycle_Cycle,
to make the process more dynamic you could, instead of “hardcoding” the linked record in the automation, use a find action to look dynamically for the linked record based on the comfortability level selected. This would ensure that you do not have to update the automations manually whenever there are changes in the links between comfortability levels and classes, but rather just need to give each class its relevant comfortability level (adding the comfortability level field in the classes table)

Hopefully this helps!

Calendly: Calendly - Alessio Monino
Email: alessio.monino@gmail.com