cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coach_Sharm
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!

I would like to ask is there a way that a Summary Table be created and automated. This Summary Table should be linked to other tables (four of them), so that when I add a new entry to the four tables, it would automatically be summed up and recorded in the Summary Table.

I already used roll-up type in the Summary table, linked it to other four tables, but will still manually input the link to the Summary table. Is there a way that this be done automatically?

Thanks for the help!

17 Replies 17

Welcome to the community, @Coach_Sharm! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Airtable does not automatically create links between tables. This normally must be done manually, but using Airtable’s new automation features, these links could be added automatically, but setting up the automation will take some careful planning. Something similar could also be done using an integration service like Zapier or Integromat.

Would you be able to share more specific details about your base? That would allow us to offer more specific guidance on how to set up the automation, whether it be internal (Airtable’s own automation features) or external (Zapier or Integromat).

I’m interested in this too!

My task base I’m trying to use an automation to move a linked field (two, actually…one for business and one for project) into an archived tab. I’d either like to

1. have the linked field just turn into a drop down
    or
  2. have the linked field turn into a new linked field that would ultimately link back to my junction table-- somehow.

Honestly I kinda need both options because I want a tab for MY tasks and to also create a tab for tasks that are delegated/waiting on/follow up to a different tab. I want the linked records to keep as records move from tab to tab, really.

I do need a solution to move a linked record into a dropdown, because honestly that works for the archived base.

BUT i also would like to understand how to take a linked field and make it move from tab to tab when the record is moved from tab to tab. I can’t seem to figure it out. I have tried some lookup fields, etc and can’t quite nail it.

The third goal is to have a tab of recurring tasks that are auto-moved to my task list on plans (IE every 30, 60, 90 days. I currently have this set up but I have to update the date field for it to work. I have a built on air script bookmarked but i haven’t circled back to it, yet.

But all of this needs those linked record fields to work on the separate tabs (or at least a drop down for the time being). I have considered only having the linked records be for open tasks, potentially.
You can see in my archived tasks the dropdowns aren’t working right. I’m not sure what i’m missing.

@Justin_Barrett

Hi @Caroline_Ritenour, if you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you out, please feel free to send me a private message! :slightly_smiling_face:

Instead of moving tasks between tables, I strongly suggest looking more deeply into Airtable’s views. Using views, all of your tasks would stay in the same table, but only your personal tasks would be visible in one view, delegated tasks in another, follow-up tasks in another, etc. Here’s where you can read more about views:

I have something like this set up in my task base, which I walked through in the BuiltOnAir podcast a couple months ago. I have three different task types: Single, Recurring, and Scheduled. With Scheduled tasks, and I can specify an interval using combinations in a multiple-select field:

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.51.00 AM

I have an automation that runs every day to (among other things) refresh old Scheduled tasks to their next date. It might be possible to adapt this to your task system. I’ve been thinking about sharing this portion of my system more broadly, but I won’t be able to work on it very soon because I’ve got a lot on my plate right now. Anyway, it’s definitely possible to something similar to this with your base. If you only have a few different intervals, the code wouldn’t need to be nearly as complex as mine.

I don’t want the views. I know how to use them in depth. I need the tabs. It’s too much in one view. I want the delegated stuff separate from my daily task list. I’ll review the rest of your post in the next couple days.

But that’s one of the primary uses of views: to take a large collection of records and only see a specific subset at any given time. If you have several views configured in your task table, then it shouldn’t feel like there’s too much in one view because you’re never seeing the entire task collection at once. One view would have your personal tasks, another your delegated tasks, another the tasks that are waiting for feedback, etc.

Views can give you that far more easily than moving records between tables. With views, you wouldn’t need any scripts to move things around. If you delegate a task, it would automatically disappear from your personal task view and only be visible in the Delegated view. No code needed.

I need it separated. It’s how my brain works.
Also multiple other reasons behind it, but I want the shit that isnt’ mine out of my task list. I don’t mind the scripts and automations. But i need it out of my lists and onto other lists. Views get to be too much.

I need it separated. It’s how my brain works.
Also multiple other reasons behind it, but I want the shit that isnt’ mine out of my task list. I don’t mind the scripts and automations. But i need it out of my lists and onto other lists. Views get to be too much. Especially when delegating out to 10 other people. My husband, for example, needs his own tab. He messes up my tab.

I need it separated. It’s how my brain works. I fully get views. They work great for a lot of things, but not for this.

I have one tab that ALL the data comes into. I want to review an inbox tab, daily. Then decide from there where it goes. Triggered by an automation whether it goes to my to do today tab, my ‘open tasks’ tab, or ‘delegate to others’ tab.

Mostly—adhd and if there is too much information, i get overwhelmed. So i’m trying to build a base that doesn’t just have an ongoing building of tasks in one giant tab. It’s too much. then i ignore the base. I built it the way you are suggesting with multiple views and having a giant list of multiple views doesnt’ work for this gals brain. at all. so hence, the tabs. I can have a delegated tab and views for each person, but it doesn’t affect MY to do list tab, etc.

Also multiple other reasons behind it, but I want the items that aren’t mine out of my task list. I don’t mind the scripts and automations. But i need it out of my lists and onto other lists. Views get to be too much. Especially when delegating out to 10 other people. My husband, for example, needs his own tab. He messes up my tab. I’ve got it down where i Can make automations move from base to base with a few flows and a script to delete once the automation to move triggers. It works great. But those linked record fields are where I am stuck. I even tried a "ARRAYJOIN({field}) trigger to remove the string, but it doesn’t seem to be working.