Help

Automation that when a record in table-1 is created, a record in table-2 is automatically generated

Topic Labels: Automations
601 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lawrence_Jenkin
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would like to create an automation that when a record in table-1 is created, a record in table-2 is automatically generated. And the key field in table-1 is copied over to Key field in table-2. I hope this is a fairly easy automation. I appreciate your help.

4 Replies 4

This is possible with automations, but is there a specific reason for why you want to do this? Most people who think they want this actually just need to create separate views in a single Airtable table.

Because I am used to creating a master table with detail table. Where the customer has a table and the and the customer has a detail table.

I wouldn’t recommend that approach. That’s precisely what views and interfaces are for.

You can also expand a record to get an instant detailed view.

Russell_Findlay
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Yes this is a pretty simple automation but with a flaw

Trigger on new record created

Action - create new record with using fields from the original record to complete the fields from the other - however

Be careful as doing this may trigger the auto,action before you are finished adding data to the new record

So choices are - to have a field day a tick box to mark the completion of the new record creation or to complete these by for, or to change the trigger to be about going into a view

Or

Maybe better sync record to a new table and only sync the fields you want to use.

This last option is something we use to manage specific projects with records where there may need to be a project specific base.