Help

Blocks able to show linked records in different tables?

Topic Labels: Extensions
1366 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lauren_Bell
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello! I’m trying to figure out how to make a Block flowchart or org chart to show the relationship between one main Project record (in a Project table) and many Subtask records (in a separate Subtask table). The blocks are telling me the records have to be linked within the same table… this is very inconvenient for the way my team has our projects structured, and I’m confused why Airtable wouldn’t recognize this as an expected use of the tool.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I’ve been scouring the Community topics for a while now and can’t find anything about my specific question. If this is not an option at this time, 1) does anyone have any workarounds they could recommend? and 2) I would love for this to be an actual feature of the tool. Again, very surprised this was not anticipated to start with.

4 Replies 4

Hi @Lauren_Bell,

What you are looking for is the Base Schema Block. This will do what you need (I hope?).

This does not show the relationship between the records though, just between the Fields.

Maybe if you also use a Group By view that would help?

BR,
Mo

Hi @Mohamed_Swellam,

Thank you for your suggestions but the Base Schema Block is not exactly what I’m looking for. I would like to have some kind of org chart or flowchart that shows exactly which Subtask records are connected to which Projects. Perhaps I need to explore all the block options more in-depth, but it is still frustrating to me that this is not a readily available feature.

Thank you,
Lauren

What about the Org Chart block?

Since the Project is Linked to the Subtasks, this means that the Subtasks are also available in the Project, or is the Subtasks not the primary field of the Subtasks table? If it is not, then make it the primary field (maybe use a formula?)

Aron
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hey Lauren,

You can see which subtasks are connected to which project in the subtask table no? You can group subtasks by their related project in a grid view to see each task according to the project.

You can also use the Gantt chart block to see tasks according to start/end date.

I’d recommend joining Airtable 201 webinar to learn about how to create project tracker, linked records and Gantt charts.

Best
Aron

Want to learn Airtable? Join me for a webinar at airtable.com/webinar