2189 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt_Stratton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am attempting to generate a Google Doc in a shared drive in our Google workspace. This works fine when I am having the Google Doc saved to my own Google Drive (the connected account is me). But when I attempt to pick a folder in a shared drive, I get the error:

Google reported an error while processing this action:
Create Google Docs error

Is it not possible to write to anything other than your own Google drive?

5 Replies 5
Steve_Singleton
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have this same issue. Seems weird that we can navigate to the folder in the shared drive and can select the folder, but can’t write to it.

djaiko
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m also not able to write to a shared drive using the Create Google Doc automation. This is a problem as I’m generating status reports that need to be in the shared drive to be accessed by the whole team.

Fred_Seguin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,
I have the same issue.
Can create on my personal drive, but get an error on shared Drive. Do we have to change the permission to the user or Airtable?
Thank you!

Yep, that is weird. I haven’t also found a native way of overcoming that limitation.

However, it can be fixed with an external script. It would automatically trigger for all files that fall into a specified folder in your private Google folder and move them to the shared folder.

I can help with it if anyone is interested?

Unfortunately, Airtable chose to make its Document Automator / Google Docs feature not compatible with shared Google Drives at this time.

I would recommend looking at alternative products that work with shared Google Drives, such as Make.com or On2Air: Actions, both of which let you create documents in shared Google Drives.

You can also use DocuMint with Make.com to create documents in your shared Google Drive.

All of these products are significantly more powerful than Airtable’s Google Docs integration, since they can base documents off of advanced templates that you have already created.

Additionally, all of the above products can also create PDF document files that can get automatically inserted into Airtable’s Attachment Fields.