Celebrating Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

“Some people ask: ‘Why the word feminist? Why not just say you are a believer in human rights, or something like that?’ Because that would be dishonest. Feminism is, of course, part of human rights in general—but to choose to use the vague expression human rights is to deny the specific and particular problem of gender. It would be a way of pretending that it was not women who have, for centuries, been excluded. It would be a way of denying that the problem of gender targets women.”

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, We Should All Be Feminists

We’re kicking off Women’s History Month by highlighting Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Chimamanda grew up in Nigeria and moved to America at age 19 to pursue her education. She advocates for gender equality through her novels as well as her TED talks, and breaks down the concept of feminism in a powerful and digestible way. She also shines a light onto the experience of being a Nigerian woman who has moved to America, offering a unique perspective of American society due to the intersections of her identity. If you are interested in learning more, we recommend We Should All Be Feminists as a starting point.

Interested in grabbing a copy of this illustration for yourself? Let us know in the comments! The first 5 people to respond will get a poster version :sparkles:

6 Likes

Yes! Her TED talk on the Danger of a Single Story stays with me. Happy to see this :clap:t3:

2 Likes

I would love to get a copy of this poster. Please tell me how I can do it. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @Zoelle_Egner did you pick a winner for this poster? I would love to have a small collection.

1 Like

Hi Laticia! We’re giving away 5, and you’re on our list! We’ll circle back at the end of the month to get your mailing address etc :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome - thank you.

1 Like