Celebrating Sylvia Rivera

This week for Women’s History Month, we’re highlighting Sylvia Rivera, a Latina-American trans activist who took part in the revolutionary Stonewall Riots in 1969.

She lived in New York City, and founded the STAR organization with Martha P. Johnson in 1970 to support and empower LGBTQ+ youth in the city. Sylvia advocated for the visibility and rights of the more marginalized identities within the LGBTQ+ community, such as trans women of color, and spoke out against the Gay Rights Bill excluding these groups and focusing primarily on the rights of gay, middle-class, white men. After her death, the Sylvia Rivera Law Project was founded in her honor, which to this day continues to provide legal services to people with marginalized gender identities.

Interested in grabbing a copy of this illustration for yourself? Let us know in the comments! The first 5 people to respond will get a poster version :sparkles:

Hello @Katherine_Duh I would love to be able to have this poster. Please let me know if I win! My nieces will love seeing these as they are learning more about inspirational women in history.

Best,

Laticia

1 Like

Would love a copy as well

1 Like