Chart app - showing projects by quarters?

Hi all,

Sorry for the long-winded explanation but I’m hoping to get my head around the best way to use the chart extension to show project starts for each Quarter. In short, we have a base where each record is a project, and one column nominates a yearly quarter each project to start (ie. “Q1/2021” for projects starting in the first quarter of 2021).

Problem when charting is (1) I can’t seem to arrange the x-axis in the correct sequence, and (2) it doesn’t seem to allow for quarters with no projects starting.

If I sort by ‘view’, it appears to arrange the x-axis by the order in which they appear on the grid:

If I arrange by “X value”, it sorts all Q1 together, then all Q2 together:

If I arrange by “Y value” it sorts by total count for each quarter:

If anyone knows the best way to arrange the data so the X axis is in the right order AND allows for quarters with zero starts, that would be great! Do I need a separate view set up with only that data in the correct order, or can I use the existing view?

Thanks in advance!
AC

Hi Andrew,

re: having the X-axis in the right order
I’m afraid the only options I can think of are:

1. Set up a separate view like you said with the correct order
  2. Flip the values around so that it’s [Year]/[Quarter] instead of [Quarter]/[Year], i.e. 2020/Q1

re: allowing for quarters with zero starts
Hmm, so in a scenario where there were no project starts in Q2/2020, you would like Q2/2020 to show up, but with no values like so?

If so, I think you’re going to need to create a new table that just has all the quarters and create a count field for it, and use a link field to that table as the Quarters column instead

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 12.53.18 PM

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 12.53.25 PM

Here’s a link to the base

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your time with this. I’ve been playing around with your approach and I think your solution ticks the boxes.

Always happy to hear of other ways to achieve the same outcome, but this works well.

Thanks again,
Andrew

1 Like

This topic was solved and automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.