1063 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taylor_Johnston
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Please excuse my very obvious lack of technical knowledge.

Is it possible to automate clicking a button when a webhook is received – or via API call?

In my base, I have a button that triggers a custom script run for that specific record. I am working in JetAdmin to build out a custom CRM UI for my Airtable base and would like to be able to call the script to run in Airtable by clicking an action button in JetAdmin.

I know you can run scripts through automations, but I have struggled with writing the correct code to pick a specific record. This would also work if I could call the script to run and loop through all records in a view - but again, lack of coding language knowledge.
Any help, advice, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as this is a critical piece of my workflow. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Yes, you can do this.

It sounds like you already had somebody write the script for you that runs when you click the button? That person would just need to modify that script for you so that it runs inside an automation that is triggered by a webhook. If you don’t have access to that person anymore, there are several JavaScript experts in this forum that are available for hire. You can also make API calls via the script as well.

Note that Airtable’s webhooks are relatively limited at the moment. Namely, they only receive POST requests with a JSON payload. You can read more about receiving webhooks in Airtable here. Also, automations are not interactive, meaning that your webhook must either specify the record to act upon, or your automation/script must contain the logic to find the record to act upon.

If you’d like to eliminate the need for coding altogether, and you would like to use professional webhooks and/or mailhooks that have none of Airtable’s webhook limitations, you can turn to Make.com, which is a low-code/no-code automation tool that lets you setup your own custom webhooks/mailhooks, and then create your own automations & API calls without any knowledge of coding. You can read more about their webhooks here and their mailhooks here.

And if you have a budget for your project and need to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with Make, feel free to contact me through my website here.

Thank you so much for the helpful links!
That’s correct, someone built my script to run when the button is clicked - he is no longer accessible, though. :pleading_face:

I actually have the majority of my workflows connected through Make. I could easily pass my record details through that - however, I’m not sure how to execute the script through a make scenario. I’m going to read into the Make articles a bit more, but if it becomes too confusing, I’ll certainly reach out. :blush:

Thanks again for your expertise!