Help

Conditional automation for updating date upon trigger, but only if that date is blank

Topic Labels: Automations
862 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George_Burke
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m looking for how to create an automation that updates date upon a particular field being edited, but only if the date was was blank.

As far as I can tell, this is a multi-conditional automation… not sure how to implement 2 or more conditions in the automation.

There may be other ways to go about this with scripting, but I’m not an engineer and don’t know how to write this.

1 Reply 1

Automations can’t currently use conditional logic inside the automations themselves. All such logic needs to be setup as part of the automation trigger system, usually by using one or more formula fields.

You didn’t mention what date you want to use as part of the update, so I’m going to assume that it’s the date that the field in question was modified. As for the field in question, I’ll refer to it as {Target Field} going forward.

You’ll need to add a “Last modified time” field named {Last Modified} that only tracks changes to {Target Field}. Also add a date field named something like {First Modified} where this one-time-only date change will be stored. Finally, add a formula field named {Capture Update Date} with this formula:

AND({Target Field}, NOT({First Modified}))

That will output a 0 as long as {Target Field} and {First Modified} are both empty. Once Target Field contains anything, it will output a 1. Use that to trigger an automation using a “When record matches conditions” trigger, with the condition being that {Capture Update Date} is set to 1. Add an “Update record” step that takes the value from {Last Modified} and inserts it into {First Modified}. Once that insertion is done, the formula in “Capture Update Date” will output a 0 again, and the automation won’t trigger again for that record.