Create a "split" string function for formulas

Google sheets already supports this, whereas Excel does not. Airtable would be wise to follow Google’s lead. Or leapfrog them both and add a ton of array functionality.

18 Likes

We often make product suggestions that are based on obvious needs. Here’s one that falls into the not-so-obvious category and the lack of support for @Zollie’s recommendation is evidence the community isn’t aware of the power of a Split() function.

In my view, Split() changes everything about formulas involving text and arrays.

Recently, @Abraham_Bochner desperately reached out for help to parse a collection of strings (like this) to get the values.

<ANUZ2B2KI2XTG;ANUZ2B2KI2XTG;23.93+0=23.93;Me;26.12;Ig:r#5:>

The Airtable formula to extract 23.93 from this string this is insanely complex and almost impossible to create, let alone maintain.

RIGHT( LEFT(MID({Data Cell}, FIND(";", {Data Cell}) + 1, FIND("+", {Data Cell}) - 1), FIND("+", MID({Data Cell}, FIND(";", {Data Cell}) + 1, FIND("+", {Data Cell}) - 1)) - 1), LEN(LEFT(MID({Data Cell}, FIND(";", {Data Cell}) + 1, FIND("+", {Data Cell}) - 1), FIND("+", MID({Data Cell}, FIND(";", {Data Cell}) + 1, FIND("+", {Data Cell}) - 1)) - 1)) - FIND(";", LEFT(MID({Data Cell}, FIND(";", {Data Cell}) + 1, FIND("+", {Data Cell}) - 1), FIND("+", MID({Data Cell}, FIND(";", {Data Cell}) + 1, FIND("+", {Data Cell}) - 1)) - 1)) )

With the Split() method (or function) it’s this simple:

{Data Cell}.split(";")[2].split("+")[0]

Why this suggestion is not upvoted by the vast community membership is a mystery to me because I see repeated instances of unimaginable and unsustainable formula workarounds to do what should be absolutely effortless.

The underlying code to support Split() is also simple, well-understood and tested, and easy to implement. Ergo, I also cannot understand why Airtable isn’t all over this. It’s the one function that elevates the capabilities above all when users must transform or understand their data.

26 Likes

The Split() and array table functionality is still something I look for in a daily basis.

It’s one of the only reasons I still use Excel (for “Text to Columns”) and Google sheets

Having this would be a huge help to those of us who are required to maintain many different kinds of data parsing formulas for different clients with slightly different needs. It’s very tedious :disappointed:

Airtable pleaseeeee address this – we will love you even more then we already do :heart:

7 Likes