Help

Create formula that copies information from one field to another when a box is checked

Topic Labels: Formulas
792 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Hrehor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am creating a base with two tables to determine the likelihood of which medical condition is most causing symptoms. In table 1 I have essentially a dashboard. List of possible conditions, percent likely, my symptom number, number of symptoms possible, list of all symptoms I selected, etc.

In table 2 I have a long list of symptoms possible in all the conditions. I have a column linked to table 1 pulling the condition type information, a column linked to table 1 called “link to possible diagnosis”, and a column linked to table 1 called “Condition (from possible diagnosis)”.

“Link to possible diagnosis” has all of the conditions listed that share that symptom. “Condition (from possible diagnosis)” is currently empty.

What I want to do is have a checkbox column in table 2 labeled “Experienced?” where, when checked, would copy the conditions from “Link to possible diagnosis” field for that specific symptom in table 2, to the “Condition (from possible diagnosis)” field for that specific symptom in table 2. That way the person filling out the form would just have to click all the boxes for the symptoms they are experiencing and the rest of the base would be able to calculate the likelihood of which condition would be best to start looking into first.

Thank you for any help on this.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 9.07.11 AM Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 9.07.41 AM

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @Michael_Hrehor! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Sorry that nobody has responded sooner to your question.

I don’t think it’s going to work quite the way that you think it will. First off, filling out an Airtable form adds the form data to a table, but you don’t currently have a table to capture that data. Second, users won’t be directly looking at this layout when they fill out a form because, again, the form they fill needs to add data to a table, and it can’t be either of these tables. Therefore they won’t be checking boxes like you think they will.

What you’ll need to do first is build a table to capture user data from the form. In that table’s design, add a field that lets you link to specific symptoms. People filling out the form will use that link field to pick symptoms they’re experiencing. Using those linked records, you can then use a lookup or rollup field to pull in possible diagnoses tied to those symptoms. Does that make sense?

Yes. Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try and see how it works out.