5617 10
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claire_moore
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am new to airtable, and so far I have created a workspace that lists the different events (sectioned by type) our company offers and the different locations at which they are held. I now want to be able to book a client on to an event by selecting the event type or location to retrieve a list of dates when that event will take place, so they can select the one they want to attend. I cannot see any templates or demos that use a similar example. Is it possible? Do I need to upgrade from the free version? Do I need to use a 3rd party app to make it work?

Thank you

10 Replies 10

I made a little example base based on what I think you were asking.

The Events table contains all of your events, and these are linked to the Event Type and Event Location tables. When creating an Event, you would enter the date and then choose the Event Type and Event Location.

The important column in the Events table is the Date + Location (and Date + Type) column. This concatenates the event name, date and location into a single string that will be used in the Event Types table. Notice the “\n” that is included at the end of the formula. This will create a line break so that the different events will appear in a formatted list rather than a single line when rolled up in the Event Types table.

In the Event Types table we have a column called Event Date + Location. This is a Roll Up field that rolls up all of the Date + Location data. We use the CONCATENATE function to roll them up into a single string. This is where the “\n” comes in, creating a single string with line breaks.

The Event Locations table works the same as the Event Types table.

In the Clients table you can add a client and then choose which Event Type they would like to attend. The Possible Dates + Locations field is a look up field that will display all of the possible dates and locations for that event type. You can then use the Choose Event column to choose which of the possible events the client would like to attend.

Thank you David, I will try this shortly.

Claire M

Hi David. I think I have worked out what you are doing. But this method seems quite complicated and labour intensive. Each time I create a new event (in Events) I have to add it to the events column in tables: Event Types and Event Locations. Is this right?

Is it possible to ‘Limit the record selection to a view’ depending of what has been entered in the previous field? For example, if I select Yoga events, I just want a list of future yoga events, not sound and nature therapy as well.

Also, I am unable to get access to your formulas, could you give the example of using “\n”

I have just done a test to see if by removing the event from the ‘view’ because the event date is now in the past if is disappears from the event type table; but it doesn’t, so I would also need to remove the events manually. from the event table and location table.

Each time I create a new event (in Events) I have to add it to the events column in tables: Event Types and Event Locations. Is this right?

No. When you create an event in the Events table, you choose the Event Type and Event Location using the columns in the Events table. This automatically populates the events column in the Event Types and Event Locations table.

Is it possible to ‘Limit the record selection to a view’ depending of what has been entered in the previous field? For example, if I select Yoga events, I just want a list of future yoga events, not sound and nature therapy as well.

Unfortunately not. The Possible Dates + Locations column is the workaround for dealing with this problem.

Also, I am unable to get access to your formulas, could you give the example of using “\n”

Are you able to duplicate the Base to your own workspace? That should give you access to all of the formulas.

I have just done a test to see if by removing the event from the ‘view’ because the event date is now in the past if is disappears from the event type table; but it doesn’t, so I would also need to remove the events manually. from the event table and location table.

I just made a view called “Future Events” in the Events table. I then limited the Choose Event field in the Clients table to that view. So now you can only choose Events that are happening in the future.

Are you able to duplicate the Base to your own workspace? That should give you access to all of the formulas. I have opened the base in my own work space, but I do not have access to look at the formula

When you click on the bottom right corner of the tab in your workspace does it give you the option to duplicate base? If so, do that.

How would I gain access to this? I think it will be very beneficial to what I’m currently working on.

Thank you!

I will have a look and come back to you over the weekend if that is ok.

Claire M