4288 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alexandra_Wadma
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I work in event management and am trying to keep track of our conference speakers. About half of our speakers need hotel rooms. I have a table that keeps track of speakers and the events they are attending. This table has a checkbox field that asks if they need lodging. I have a second linked table that keeps track of hotel reservations. What I want is for a hotel reservation record to be automatically generated when when the “lodging needed” box is checked on the first table. I’ve been told this is possible but I can’t find a formula for it.

6 Replies 6

I think you could do it with Zapier:

1. Create a View filtering to see only the Checked records
  2. Create a Zap that triggers when a new Records enters that View
  3. Create a Record in the Lodging table, with the Speaker info if you want.

As far as I know, there isn’t a way to generate a new record in one table based on a field being checked in a different table — at least not entirely within Airtable. As @Elias_Gomez_Sainz notes, it can be done with the assistance of middleware.

However, for a way to fake this functionality, see this reply (and associated demo base) from an earlier post. In your case the [Timestamp] table would be your [Reservations] table, and you wouldn’t necessarily need any of the legerdemain with timestamps or created times, but you could appropriate the ‘linked-record-faux-checkbox-field’ trick for your own purposes. It isn’t necessarily elegant, but it gives you what you need at a minimal increase in effort: three mouseclicks instead of two.

Hi @W_Vann_Hall, I also am looking to generate a new record in one table based on a field being checked marked in a different table. Your reply was helpful, but I’m trying something a bit different and I’m curious about your thoughts.
I have 3 tables right now (Beverages, Snacks, Bars) and a total table. I want to send this base to my customer so they can checkmark which items they want to order. I used ‘linked-record-faux-checkbox-field’ trick and it worked for my beverage, but since I can only link to 1 table I’m not sure of the best way to have the total show quantities entered on all tables.

Any suggestions?
image.png

Can you post a link to the base? (Click ‘share’ button; select ‘Shared base link,’ followed by ‘Private read-only link,’ and copy the URL; make sure ‘Allow viewers to copy the data in this base’ is enabled.)

dockspace_co
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Here ya go

0d41b7239ab01c5f5e8f76a7f7d714f76ba86a36.png

Snacks - Airtable

This sheet displays snacks we carry. Select if you want us to stock it. Enter par level you always want on hand. We monitor this and will always deliver to get you back to par.

Thanks

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We built an extension that allows you to create a duplicate record in another table when a checkbox is checked.