Custom date fields

Hello - I’m new to Airtable and having trouble configuring a custom date field. I would like to have a date field with MM-YYYY format (01-2021). This is for a large dataset and records do not have a full dd-mm-yyyy date available (only month and year). Is it possible to create a custom format for the date field type?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

You can’t create a custom format for the date field type, but you could just have them type MM-YYYY into into a normal text field. However, that would require them typing it perfectly every time.

So your best bet would probably be to have them type into a normal date field, and just have them type WHATEVER THEY WANT for the day number.

Then, you could create a formula field that ignores the day number and returns MM-YYYY format to you.

To create that formula, you would use the DATETIME_FORMAT function, which is explained in more detail on this page:

And then, your formatting options are listed on this page:

So, in your case, your formula would look like this:

DATETIME_FORMAT({Date Field},'MM-YYYY')

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your quick response and suggestion! Although that’s what I feared the response will be. I think for now we’ll go with text field and do some regular clean-up of the data to ensure consistent formatting. It would be great if Airtable could expand functionality to include additional date formats.

This topic was solved and automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.