8554 9
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charlotte_Dewae
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would like to be able to link two tables in such a way that a record appears identically in both upon creating the record and updating it as time goes on. For example, my boss and I have separate tables for our ongoing “to do” lists. She would like to be able to create a record on her table and have it pop up on my table in the same dept (single select field) and that when I update it on my table, hers is also updated simultaneously. Is this possible? Not using the “link a record” field, bc that isn’t working for her.

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Um, as you describe it, not really — at least not with the bi-directional transfer of data you desire. There are ways to move or duplicate a record from one table to another, but the problem is trying to synchronize field values back upstream.

My suggestion would be for you both to use the same table but with filtered views. I’d have to know more about your actual processes, but by filtering by responsible party and department, you and your boss could have tailored views providing you each with an appropriate ‘to-do’ list. (You’d probably have to set a responsible party explicitly for each action item — which probably isn’t such a bad idea, anyway.)

Alternatively, you could continue to use separate tables and use an integration service such as Zapier or Integromat to pass item and status information back and forth — but I’m a firm believer in the path of least resistance. :winking_face:

Reuven_Cohen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,
I just did a test to duplicate one record from one table to another. I used Zapier service and built a zap from source airtable to target airtable and it worked fine.

Good luck to all and thank you Airtable for a great productive tool

Nancy_Zagha
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree. This would be something useful without having to use Zapier

CraftsBayou
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just wondering if this update has been made in the time since these last posts?

My company doesn’t allow us tot use Zapier. Is there any way to be able to create a record and have it go to two tabs instead of just one? Thats all i need.

I tried to do just that, but I can’T seem to make it work. It creates a new record, but cannot copy the record with all the info
Can you explain how you manage to do it please ? :slightly_smiling_face:

We built an extension that allows you to auto-duplicate records between tables.

Hey @Moe
Thanks for this!

Does this update both records when information in a record is changed?

Cheers,
Jara

Hey Reuven!

I can’t figure out how to make this work.
Is there a way you can share what you did?