6947 10
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt_Crummel
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a checklist that i want to appear in each new record and would like for that checklist to be used individually from the other records. Could someone guide me on this please?

10 Replies 10
Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Isn’t it possible to simply add the checks as fields (since you want them for each record anyway)?

Matt_Crummel

Yes but as it is the same checklist for each field I was hoping to be able to have it already there with each new record.

I think that’s what @Tuur was getting at.

Let’s say you have these checklist items:

• Do this.
  • Do that.
  • Do these.
  • Do those.

And you want every record in your Things to Do table to have that same checklist when it is made, then simply make each one of those things a field(column) of the “Checkbox” type. And if the names of the checklist items are too long (ie, a sentence describing what needs to be done), you could put that information in a description box that is only showed on mouseover.

Like this:
image.png

I was thinking of an attached checklist. Could an attachment be pre-attached to new records? My apologies for the lack of quality explanation.

No, not with Airtable’s native functionality. This could be done using integration with Zapier, which could be used to automatically propagate content into the cells of newly created records - I don’t know about file-uploads though - never tried that.

If you have somewhere you could host the file (I’m assuming it’s something like a PDF) - say Dropbox or Onedrive - and you had a share link for it, you could create a “Single Line Text” field with “Default Text” of the share-url like this:

And it will fill that box in each new record with a clickable URL to the file:

Outside of that, you’d have to turn to third party integrations like Zapier or Integromat.

There are a couple things I know of that you could do only if everyone using your Airtable base is using it on Mac and iOS - so if that is the case let me know and I can elaborate on that.

The AirTable already established by my employer for clients already has Date This Was Done boxes but there’s so much information and so many to-do items that we already have 32 columns. And some to-do items only apply to certain types of clients. Thus, we have Gizmo Conglomerated for all clients even though only about 20% need their gizmos to be conglomerated, etc. I hate to add another column to check Department of Widgets Inspection Completed if only 25% of my clients need to be inspected by the Department of Widgets. But that inspection is vital and I need to know at a glance if it’s been done. PLUS I need to be able to note when the inspection is scheduled, which inspector is going to be at the site (linked to contact information for that inspector in case we have to reschedule the inspection, etc.) WAY too much to put on the table for clients.

CGaetano
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am late to the game, but as this was the first link when I was trying to figure it out I will post here. 

I was able to add a checklist by creating a "long text" field. When creating the field be sure to "Enable rich text formatting."  Then you can add the a line of text. Hover at the start of the first line and you will see a paragraph option. Select that and a box will open with several options, one being a checklist. Once you set the first one, each time you enter the next line will be in checkbox format. If you cut and paste a list into the field, simply hover on each line and convert that line to a checklist. 

swilder

Awesome!! ^^ I have been wondering how to do this for months. Very easy now that you explain it, but not easy enough for me, apparently. Lol. Thanks again! 

gatt88
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi! 
I've got this checklist from embedding in long text that I want to automate to appear in the field every time a record is created...
Any suggestions?
thanks!

Russell_Bishop1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

You have two options:

1) Record templates
https://support.airtable.com/docs/using-record-templates-in-airtable

Set a template for this type of record that includes your checklist oinside of a long text field (rich formatting) and always create records from that checklist.

2) Automation
Create an automation that adds that checklist into the contents of new records created in that table.