Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Feel like this should be achievable but not sure how to do

Topic Labels: Base design
2664 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Benson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi There.

I have a regular Tennis group and want to transfer the records to an Airtable base. Each week there are 8 players (drawn from a pool of around 20) and they will be players 1-8. The games are mainly doubles so, for instance, player 1&8 may play 2&7. I need to set up the schedule of matches and be able to record the scores for each and award points for victories. Then there needs to be a summary for the session with a leader board of the points scored.

I guess it is the setting of the individual matches that I am not sure how to start…

Any help appreciated

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

You could have a table of [Matches] with two record link fields, both pointing at a table of [Players].

[Matches] table

In one link field you link all 2-4 players who were in the match. In the other link field only link the one or two players who won. Add another field for points for winning.

[Players] table

Add a Rollup field which sums up all the total of points from the [Matches] table using the link field for games won (as opposed to the one for games played).

Another option would be to have two linked records but set them up a bit differently. Have one linked record for one team and another linked record for the other team. Then use a single select field to say which team won. Conditional roll ups and formula fields could determine the rest as @Kamille_Parks described. This method would preserve the information regarding who was on which team.

Pablo_Rios
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello @Richard_Benson , not sure if you’ve begun your ‘Tennis Anyone’ solution yet. I always try to use a junction (3rd joining table) when I have a many-to-many relationship between my tables. In your case [players] < [players_matches] > [matches], the [players_matches] table would be your main working table. There is also a Tournament Bracket template Tournament Bracket Template - Free to Use | Airtable that uses a self-linking table to display your tournament matches in a hierachial graph. They recommend you also install the org chart app to get a more in depth view.

All the Best!

Pablo