Fill handle doesn't recognise/continue auto-numbering

Hi,
I’m trying to create multiple new records with auto-numbers using the “fill handle” as described here:

My sequence has a custom name followed by a sequential number such as “Product 1”, “Product 2”, “Product 3”… etc. Using the fill handle to drag down I want it to create Product 4, 5, 6 and continue the sequence, but it only creates copies of Product 1, 2, 3 repeated for as many cells as I drag down. How can I continue this sequence without having to type it/change it every time?

Thanks.

Hi Mark,

The Fill Handle Auto-Numbering only works for numeric fields (Number, Currency, Percent), not for text fields.

In order to get the behavior you want, you could:

1. Create a field that stores a unique number for each product. Either (a) create a Number field and use the fill handle to populate it for new records, or (b) create an Auto Number field which does this automatically,
  2. Use a Formula field to concatenate "Product " with the product number to get a field that reads “Product 1”, “Product 2”, etc.
  3. Optionally, hide the field created in step (1) since it’s redundant with the field from (2).

Try having a hidden autonumber column and concatenating it with "Product "