cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Eyles
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,
I’m trying to create multiple new records with auto-numbers using the “fill handle” as described here:

Quickly filling cells using fill handle

Though you can manually copy and paste multiple cells, you can swiftly copy and paste the values of one or more adjacent cells using the fill handle.  To use the fill handle simply select the cell...

My sequence has a custom name followed by a sequential number such as “Product 1”, “Product 2”, “Product 3”… etc. Using the fill handle to drag down I want it to create Product 4, 5, 6 and continue the sequence, but it only creates copies of Product 1, 2, 3 repeated for as many cells as I drag down. How can I continue this sequence without having to type it/change it every time?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2
Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi Mark,

The Fill Handle Auto-Numbering only works for numeric fields (Number, Currency, Percent), not for text fields.

In order to get the behavior you want, you could:

1. Create a field that stores a unique number for each product. Either (a) create a Number field and use the fill handle to populate it for new records, or (b) create an Auto Number field which does this automatically,
  2. Use a Formula field to concatenate "Product " with the product number to get a field that reads “Product 1”, “Product 2”, etc.
  3. Optionally, hide the field created in step (1) since it’s redundant with the field from (2).

Try having a hidden autonumber column and concatenating it with "Product "