Filter data for linked fields

With a ‘link to another record’ data type, I’d love to be able to filter which options are available to pick.

Use Case:
I’m using Airtable to make a rostering database. I’ve got one table that stores the jobs to be rostered for each event, and another table with a list of volunteers and the jobs they’re able to do.

Each job is a column in the Roster table, and each job is linked to the ‘People’ table. I would find it useful if I could filter people based on whether they are able to do the job specified in the column.

Compare two fields and pull out matching content
Link to a filtered record
Filter on linked fields

Agreed. I have a similar use case and it would greatly increase usability if we could filter the records available to link. This would prevent users from entering an invalid entry.

+1 here. I’d also be OK if I could use a filtered view instead of the base table.

Yes to this. It’s extremely important to be able to filter the options in a dropdown. For example one of mine is a list of events. Currently past events are able to be selected, which is not ok! Also it makes the dropdown too long and unwieldy.

I agree with this request. I have a similar use case-I have a “transactions” table, and need to be able to see only transactions from the past month in the “category” table.

+1 for this request. My project table links to a tasks table. I need to assign uncompleted tasks to projects, but linking to the tasks table shows both completed and incomplete tasks. I might be able to use a workaround for the time being (suggestions?) but long-term linking to table views, or filtering results, is a better approach. Thanks!

Have you tried sorting the Linked Table (on the actual table view) so that the most recent records are at the top? Obviously this is still cumbersome however just a thought.

I’ve found myself using the index fields of linked tables as Formulas and tie in additional data so that when I am choosing the Record I have a fair amount of the data of a record available in the Linked Table list.

Persistent sorting of a view

Yes this is what I do, but since there is no autosort feature, it’s very cumbersome. Plus although this allows the correct data to be presented at the top, it doesn’t prevent the user from selecting wrong data.

Katherine,

What I have found myself doing (although this is still very cumbersome) is creating a new table that just has Lookup fields of the table I need to see records of sorted in the way that I need them to look and have those Lookup fields point to the table I need to see data from. Keep in mind that this only works as a form of a Report rather than modifiable data fields.

You can setup multiple Views of the Related Table formatted the way that you need and then change the View of the Related Table, go back to the Source Table and it will inherit the last used View of the Related Table. Again very cumbersome however it works in a pinch.

For the Auto Sort you can as well use a Formula to Auto Sort the records and then Link to the Formula Field. Just another thought.

Thanks, those are both very interesting suggestions.

+1! It would be great to be able to apply filters to linked fields, such as “only show rows whose X column is null”.

Another, very common use case:

You want someone to select the state, and then the city, in separate fields. Right now, selecting the state first means you would still see every city, not just the cities in the state, in the dropdown menu.

I’m also waiting for a solution. The system allows the entry of invalid data in my tables … already stopped development work.

There are many use cases for this - and the feature is required for both normal views and views to be published on a eb site - for example…

In a leave request form you would want the employee to be able to say which type of leave they were asking for from a table of absence types. However, you would only want the to be able to request absence types identified as ‘requestable’.

At the same time, HR users would need to be able to enter leave records for leave types which are not requestable.

There are a couple of threads looking at solutions for this problem, but no updates in a while. Not being able to filter makes airtable far less useful for my use (and more so in forms) and so we have not been able to move over our data to airtable.

Is there a solution I am missing?

I’ve got pretty much the same usecase as discussed above (staff being able to select shifts to work). A filter on the form page would be great. Alternatively a filter on the “Link to another record” field type, so only certain records were available to link.

+1, please add this feature

+1. @Airtable team, is this feature part of future roadmap?

One more specific example:

• I want to only display linked items that have a particular property set on them.

• In the embedded base, in the “Tags” table, in the “Products” column, I want to only show those Products that have a “Available” checkbox set to true.

I can create a view that filters to only show “Tags” that are associated with Products where “Available” is true but the listed Products for each Tag are not filtered.

The entire Base is here, but in this post I am referring to the “Tags” table:
https://airtable.com/shr0Taabg30sSrFhB