cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alba_Machado
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Airtable Friends,

I want to combine four things in my primary field: (1) Story ID#, (2) Date, (3) Storyteller, and (4) Story Title – all separated by a " - ", of course. I was able to get the first two things with this formula:

({Story ID#} & " - " & DATETIME_FORMAT(Received, ‘DD/MM’)) & " - "

But when I follow this up with {Storyteller} & " - " & {Story Title}, I get a message that says: “Sorry, there was a problem saving this field. Can’t save field because it causes a circular reference.” To be clear, here’s the full formula that keeps getting rejected:

({Story ID#} & " - " & DATETIME_FORMAT(Received, ‘DD/MM’)) & " - " {Storyteller} & " - " & {Story Title}

I’ve tried a number of variations using parenthesis and curly brackets, but always get the “sorry” message. Grateful to anyone who can help me get past this irksome obstacle!

22 Replies 22

Is {Storyteller} a formula field in the linked table? And does that formula somehow refers to a field in the table where your problematic formula is located?

Just realized I could go with the “Name” Single Line Text field that’s connected to the form. Duh. Works like gangbusters now. Thanks, guys! :heart_eyes:

You mentioned in your first post that you have a circular reference.

The support article on common formula errors includes info on circular references.