cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan_Walton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all!

I have a form in Thought Journal Entries Table, which includes a client’s journal entry and their email address.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 3.08.26 PM

You’ll notice that the “Clients” field is a linked record, to the Clients Table, where I have a list of clients and their email addresses.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 3.08.43 PM

Is there a good way to have the Thought Journal entry automatically link the record back to the corresponding client so we wouldn’t have to do this manually every time someone makes an entry?

It doesn’t look like it happens automatically when the email is the same, and I haven’t been able to successfully get an Airtable Automation to have it do the following yet:

1. lookup the submitted email address from form in the Clients Table,
  2. Find which client submitted it, then
  3. Link the original submission to the original client record

Thanks a bunch for reading this! Sorry if this has been successfully answered before, I haven’t been able to find a good answer yet.
Evan

2 Replies 2

Hi @Evan_Walton - this can be done with an automation. As is often the case, there’s an easy way and a more complex way. The easy way needs a slightly different table set up to the one I think you have. If your clients table has email as the primary field, then it is pretty straightforward. So this:

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 21.10.37

And this:

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 21.10.43

Then the automation is just a question of getting the email value from the new record and posting this to the Email Link field:

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 20.58.16

If you’ve got name as your primary field on the clients table and email as a secondary field, then your automation will follow this pattern:

• get the email from the new record
  • find a record in the clients table based on the email
  • update the new record with the record id of the record found in the clients table

Step 2:

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 21.23.52

Step 3:

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 21.24.03

Evan_Walton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@JonathanBowen, you are my hero! Holy crap. Thank you so much