Help

Google Drive Attachment Lookup Does Not Display Correct Google Drive Folder Structure

2840 10
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill_Chapman
5 - Automation Enthusiast

The Google Drive lookup for attachments displays a random file/folder structure, not the file/folder structure in Google Drive. Furthermore, not all of the files/folders are displayed.

This is a change because for a long time, I was able to look up attachments in my Google Drive and the display showed the identical file/folder structure in Google Drive which made it easy to find and attach the right file. Something changed or am I doing something wrong?

10 Replies 10

Is it possible the permissions on the Drive folders have changed?

I don’t believe so. I think all or most all of my folders are marked to allow anyone with the link to access. Also, I’m not sure how that would change from a perfectly matching file structure to a random file structure in air table.

Hi @Bill_Chapman

My understanding is that Google is having all users of GDrive and Gmail to go through a verification process. This is in connection to users using their (Google) API’s.

I don’t know if this pertains to you, but I thought I would mention it, just in case it might be connected.

Although, users who use G Suite don’t have to go through this verification process.

The other thing you could do is contact Google and see if they can help.

Hope this might help in some way.

Thank you,
Mary Kay

Yep - I saw this in your comments and this behaviour is not easily explained except with a possible bug in Airtable. I can see this chaotic file/folder presentation as well - it’s clearly dysfunctional. And two Trash folders - Drive has only one - this is failing to properly render or browse the Drive in a meaningful way.

Pretty sure all users accessing Google Drive as it pertains to Airtable attachments are essentially forced to authenticate. GMail and G-Suite accounts are alike; they are each based on a Google Account and use of the Airtable attachment feature seems to be uniformly dependent on a security context in place to allow such browsing of any Google Drive. If you’ve previously signed in to your Google account, no such challenge will be presented and it may seem like you aren’t required to log in, but you are actually.

Hi @Bill.French

I thought I read it on the Integromat website.

Mary

No need.

What you’re referring to is an oAuth connection between users of domain and scripts that are deployed within that same domain.

Verification is not required for Apps Script projects whose owner and users belong to the same G Suite domain or customer.

Say I (bill@abc.com) create a script project in Google Apps Script and I allow other people at abc.com to use my script. No “alternative” oAuth verification is required to affirm the risks and use the script because we’re all inside the same domain.

This less-intrusive security requirement is made possible by Google only because we are in the same G-Suite domain. I don’t believe this has any impact on anything related to Airtable scripts or Integromat scripts attempting to attach to your Drive when you want to connect these apps to push or pull files to or from your Drive account.

Bill_Chapman

I am a G suite subscriber so I guess the concern does not apply to me. I will certainly contact Google has they are very helpful, especially to their G suite subscribers. However, my reluctance is that the file structure is perfect when I view it in my G suite Google drive and it is only in Airtable that it is chaotic. Not sure how Google could help me fix that. But I will check with them, anyway.

I am logged into my G suite Google Drive when I tried to link a document from my Google Drive to Airtable. Same problem.

Thanks to everyone for your responses above. After spending a fair amount of time with Google troubleshooting, they obviously ended up saying this is a third-party app and is on the Airtable side, not Google. Everything works fine in Google and displays correctly.

It finally dawned on me that there is a pretty simple workaround using the “URL” field to link to these documents. Although I have to go to my Google Drive outside of Airtable, in the link displays a URL instead of allowing me to name the document, it does provide a one click link which is the outcome I am looking for. A workaround but a successful one, nonetheless. Again, thank you everyone for your efforts to help me solve this problem.

And they would be 100% correct about this assessment. This is an Airtable issue and not unlike the many issues about attachment integrations that Airtable has.