Help

Have the start date of Task B be [x] days before Task A end date?

Topic Labels: Dates & Timezones
620 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ash
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I currently have two date fields, start and end. How do I create a relationship between two rows, e.g.

Have the start date of Task B be days before Task A end date?

4 Replies 4

You’d have to link the two records together (specifically, in Task B’s record, link Task A in the linked record field)

You’d then have to add a lookup field to grab the due date you’ve set, and then use a formula to calculate the start date

And finally, you’d need a formula field that summarizes between the two start dates that you have: the one that you set up manually and the one that you’ve calculated

Ash
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you! So in the Gantt chart - the bars will probably auto update. Are you still able to drag the bars to change the date or do they become locked?

Ahh, ouch, they would become locked

Hmm, if we want that functionality, the Gantt chart will have to reference actual date fields, so we’d have to:

1. Link the two records together (specifically, in Task B’s record, link Task A in the linked record field)
  2. Add a lookup field to grab the due date you’ve set for Task A
  3. Add a formula field to calculate the start date for Task B
  4. Create an automation that triggers when a record is linked AND doesn’t have a start date, and make its action to update said record’s start date with the result of the formula from the previous step

This should do what you’re looking for I think

Ash
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

thank you! will give it a try