2701 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suresh_Kumar_G
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey Airtable users. I’m looking to automate this process.

Any help is highly appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

I have one master table and any number of child tables.

So assume, one master (master) and one child (California state).

In the master table, I will have all the content with a common keyphrase.

In the child table, I wanted to replace that keyphrase with the city name.

Only that keyphrase to be changed in every column of the row in that child page.

How can I automate the whole process of auto-fill the data in the child pages from the master page by referring the keyphrase in the present child page?

Here is the base link, feel free to play.

Master - Where we add all the master copy of the title, description etc.
Child pages - State pages like California, Where city name is primary the first column.

So I wanted to pull that first column data and auto-fill in the rest of the columns.

If you have questions, feel to reply. I ll try to answer.

Here I’m trying to use a substitute function by referring other tables I guess.

Thanks in advance
Suresh

6 Replies 6
Suresh_Kumar_G

I ll be needing in help regarding the mapping of the data master to the child.

Later with the batch update blocks, I can automate the autofill data with the batch block.

Hi @Suresh_Kumar_G - how about this:

In your master table define the title and description test with placeholder values, e.g.:

[cityname]

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 14.44.06.png

Then in your state table associate the city records with the appropriate state:

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 14.45.59.png

Then lookup the master title and description from the master table:

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 14.46.46.png

Finally, have two formula fields that SUBSTITUTE the placeholder value for the City Name:

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 14.47.55.png

(similarly with the Description field)

The Title formula is:

SUBSTITUTE({State title} & '', '[cityname]', {City name})

This will replace all occurrences of the placeholder with the City Name, so you can have pretty long and complicated sentences with the city name distributed throughout.

JB

Then, of course, hide the fields you don’t want to see in your State table

This is very helpful. So every column in the state table gets a double columns for each operation.

One is for the lookup reference and for the substitute function to apply. Can we able to do this in a single column, that is Lookup and substitute in the single formula?

Why I’m simplifying this process because I will be having 30+ columns.

Let me know if we can apply lookup and formula in the same field. And automate this bit further.

Thanks, Jonathan. For taking the time and helping.

Hi @Suresh_Kumar_G, no I’m afraid not - a field can’t be a lookup AND a formula - just one or the other. I guess the other way of doing this would be to automate the lookup outside of Airtable (Zapier, for example) and just have the Title and Description fields populated by this (in which case they would probably be single line text or long text fields.

JB

Zapier is a good idea, And I’m in talks with the other automation tool like zapier, GetquickFlow.

Jonathan, I ll use the way you said, for now, Thanks for the helping me out :slightly_smiling_face: I see that you do offer the consulting too. Will come back for complex setups in the future.

Thanks again.