Help

How can i export my data from airtable in json format?

Topic Labels: Extensions
12702 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay_P
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

how can i export my data from airtable in json format ?

5 Replies 5
Florian_Verdon2
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @Jay_P,

It actually all depends on where you want to import this JSON file and if you need to keep relations.

Solution 1 : quick and easy but Manual
Exporting as CSV will lose all relations (depending on how you have configured your primary fields).
You should create a formula field in each table with just RECORD_ID() so you get the “real ID” of each record.
Then where you have relations add this field as a lookup field to get something like this.
Capture d’écran 2020-10-13 à 13.25.08

Solution 2 : more complex but can be automated
The official Airtable API returns results as JSON so it may be a good start but will require some programming is you have a lot of records. (requires to handle pagination)

Import
Importing a JSON file will be a specific topic on its own as it really depend on the destination software. It may or not handle existing relations between records.

Do not hesitate to reach out to me if you need more specific help in exporting and importing in another software.

Florian VERDONCK

GavinA
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hello! Here is a quick and easy solution for exporting Airtable to JSON:

https://www.csvgetter.com/blog/airtable-json-export-tutorial

I'm interested in this solution but it appears that for linked records, CSV Getter is pulling the record ID rather than the value. Can that be fixed?

Hey @Aaron_Miller yes! 

Add a lookup field to your Airtable base, and select the field of the record you would like included in the JSON.

In CSV Getter, select the lookup field rather than the Linked record field. 

If you need any assistance, DM me and we will get on a call 🙂