Help

How do I show JUST hours in a date/time column?

Topic Labels: Views
3542 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Madeleine_Gray
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m making a schedule, and don’t need the date information as it will be repeated on different dates; I just want to list the time… but it would be great if I could then link it into a calendar view. I’ve tried to use the datetime formula, but I can’t seem to get it right and either return an error message, or it just lists 1/2/3/4 and not the hours I want.

Is there a way to do this?

Hoping this question makes sense - I’m new to databases, so forgive me if it’s n00b and not using correct technical language!!

1 Reply 1

If I’m understanding you correctly, you have a series of events which repeat daily/weekly and you only want to enter them once but create a schedule from it?
Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s currently a way to do this and have it be compatible with calendar view.

However, what you can do is:

1. Create two tables: Events and Event Types
  2. Create a link in Zapier between Google Calendar and Airtable, populating the Events calendar, see:
    https://zapier.com/zapbook/zaps/3552/import-all-your-events-from-google-calendar-into-an-airtable-ba...
  3. Create the recurring event in Google Calendar
  4. In Event Types, create a separate entry for each type of event
  5. Link the two tables together, then apply the appropriate Event Type entry to each Events entry
  6. In the Event Type table, add the formula field =DATETIME_FORMAT({Start Time},‘HH:mm’), where {Start Time} corresponds to the event start time field of the Events table.*
  7. (Optional), add a Zapier integration going from Airtable to Google Calendar to sync any changes back to the calendar
    *Just realized I’m missing a couple of intermediary steps, like doing a lookup to pull the column from the other table, then filtering the result to just one item (otherwise you’ll end up with something like “12:00,12:00,12:00,12:00,12:00…”)

This isn’t the exact solution you’re asking for, but it is the way you should be thinking about your data to make it database-compatible.