cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Javi_BG
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Dear community.

I need to set up an automation, which should be simple, but i’m new with automations in Airtable.

• I have a table of orders. Sometimes, several orders have been made by the same client.
  • I want to be able to send just an email for every client, in which they will be able to see a table of all the orders they made.

How can i create this automation?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Javier

7 Replies 7

Do you have a separate Table for Clients, and are you linking each Client to an Order?

Hi Kamille, thanks for replying.

I am not linking this information to a clients table at the moment. This information comes directly from an automation through which i get some orders made in another software (Acuity scheduling).

If it’s necessary, i can build that relation. But i don’t want to send a daily email to all my clients. I want to execute the automation daily, but it will only send that email when new orders are made (but including all orders that have an upcoming due date).

Do you think it is mandatory to create that new relation? Can’t automations “aggregate” records by a field to send them all later to the email in that field?

Thanks Kamile!

Automations are designed to run one of two ways:

1. Once per record
  2. Once per defined time interval

That means with your current setup, your Automation will either:

1. Email each client a list of all their upcoming due dates every time a new record is added (not once per day)
    or
  2. Send a single email to every client a list of every client’s upcoming due dates once per day.

If you had your records linked to a client, as they most likely should be to begin with, then you could set an Automation to check a few Rollup/Formula fields to send each client a list of their upcoming due dates only once per day (if necessary).

Javi_BG

Hi! Thanks for your advice Kamille.

I’ve created that relation and created an automation that successfully sends an email when a record is updated in that clients table. The thing is airtable sometimes is going to receive 2 new rows for a client, so this automation will send two new emails, which i believe will bother clients. Any idea?

Besides, i am not sure on which plan allows me to send these emails (it doesn’t seem very clear in the pricing plans page), but airtable is suggesting me that i would have to think of another plan, otherwise i will only be able to send emails to collaborators.

Thanks for your help!

First things first, if you don’t have a Pro (or greater) plan for that workspace, you are limited to only sending emails to base collaborators. If you are unable to upgrade your plan, try another service like Integromat or Zapier to handle sending out emails. You’ll likely have more flexibility with this option at the end of the day. I believe @ScottWorld is an Airtable/Integromat expert if you want further guidance on that sort of integration.

If you do want to stick with Airtable, you could trigger the Automation once per Client per day. The exact way to set that up will depend on a few things, likely doing something along the lines of “Trigger an automation when a Client record’s {Date Last Email Sent} is before today”.

Thanks, @Kamille_Parks! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Yes, as Kamille mentioned, I am an Airtable/Integromat expert, and you can definitely “aggregate” records by a field in Integromat, such as aggregating records by their email address and then sending a bunch of aggregated information to each email address.

It’s a little bit tricky to setup, but you would typically use a combination of Integromat’s Aggregator & Data Store modules:

p.s. The Integromat links contain my personal referral code. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert consultant to help, please feel free to contact me through my website at ScottWorld.com.

Javi_BG

Hi! thank you both for your help, i appreciate that!

Yes, in fact, i had this scenario built with integromat, but i preferred to use just Airtable, but with these limitations, i will stick with integromat.
In the near future, if the volume of records make the client pay for a pro subscription in Airtable, i will then migrate the whole logic to Airtable, which seems much easier.

@kamille, @scott, Thanks again, have a great week!