Help

How to put same headline in multiple sections + connect them so they are 'smart'

Topic Labels: Views
1281 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chelsea_Castro
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!

So i am trying to create a table where there is the same ‘headline’ in multiple sections. But instead of retyping it 10 times I would like to have them be ‘connected’ so that if I edit one, it edits all others.

I need this so that on days where the same topic is said, it can be referenced. If that makes sense!

Any ideas or solutions?
Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Zollie
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Are you looking for something like this? Otherwise can you describe some sample data or take a screen shot?

Headline
Harry Potter Strikes Back

Author
J. K. Rowling

Headline and Author
Harry Potter Strikes Back, J. K. Rowling

For example, I am organizing these multi-story days with ‘mock date’ right now so that i can see the day as whole with all the different ‘sections’ or ‘categories’.

I am then using the actual date module for stories that will be new that day, so that when i switch to Cal view its essentially a roundup of the updated stories for each day.

However, Any story that isn’t ‘updating’ or being removed is carrying over to the next day. So essentially if i wanted to see ‘Explore Topic 1’ on 1/2, I would have to duplicate it. And should I need to make a change that should be reflected across all dates where it appears- id have to do it individually.

Is there a way I can have these repeat topics on multiple ‘dates’ and connected so that when I update one its reflected across all days?

*it will not allow me to upload any images for some reason?? So please see the temporary image here, just remove spaces:
https:// imgur .com /a/xev WEFT

Sharing a View

Still trying to understand what’s happening. If you’re able to share a screenshot with the column names visible, that would be helpful too. Or you could create a publicly shared link via the share icon (image below).

shareViewIcon

Date Grouping

However, Any story that isn’t ‘updating’ or being removed is carrying over to the next day. So essentially if i wanted to see ‘Explore Topic 1’ on 1/2, I would have to duplicate it.

Why can’t you individually update their dates instead?

Date Limitations

And should I need to make a change that should be reflected across all dates where it appears- id have to do it individually.

Maybe take a look at date ranges? For example, you could try using “begin” and “end” date columns for multi-day entries.

Is there a way I can have these repeat topics on multiple ‘dates’ and connected so that when I update one its reflected across all days?

If you’d like to link data between multiple rows, you can use advanced linking. But in general, I avoid duplication when possible and just add columns when new information is being tracked.

Hi there!
Thanks for the response! I’ve tried the things tou suggested and i dont think that quite does it. Please see the link to the table here : https ://airt able .com/invite/l?inviteId=inv AQxgTdsVaEWjRN&inviteToke n=a4c910c8631f 95445db3dbd9fbc02bc23fde40f1 56a5fda606236f5aecc3e88c

Just remove spaces!

So the goal is ‘Explore Topic 1’ Can exist on 1/1 AND 1/2. I dont mind duplicating them and changing this manually however i would love to then link their ‘story’ and ‘strategy’ portions so they update whenever i update the other. It is important that things that ‘carry over’ are present on each day so they can be seen all together without having to reference the day prior.

Does that make sense?

Thank you again in advance for your help!

You might be able to do a lot with some combination of linked fields, lookups, and formulas. I added a three new columns as examples.

The formula is dynamically displaying what’s in the Strategy Column or the linked row’s Strategy column depending on whether or not it’s linked to another row.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 3.29.58 PM

The next step would be to find a way to address situations where more than two rows are linked together. Those will display like this:

Strategy Formula Example
Strategy from linked row 1, Strategy from linked row 2, Strategy from linked row 3

You might want to delete your shared link via edit post so other users don’t mess with your base like I did :winking_face:

Back to work. Best of luck.

Hi @Chelsea_Castro,

Im answering a different question here. The reason you cannot share a link or a pic is because you need the Basic badge to be granted full access to Airtable Community. You can achieve that by reading few other threads here.

Secondly, an advise would ve to never share a link to your Base with a Creator access, make it rather a View access so whomever checks it out cannot delete it.

Best Regards,
Mo