In Excel I often create formulas that reference a random item from another table. I can’t figure out how to do this in Airtable.
The general way I do this in Excel is:
- create an autofill column (called “Index_lookup”) that has the formula
- create another column that has the formula
=INDEX(<table_name>, [@[Index_lookup]],COLUMN(<table_name>[Index_lookup]) - COLUMN(table_name) +1)
I got some suggestions of how to generate semi random numbers but I can’t figure out how to:
- query the number of rows in another table
- generate a random number within that range, although I could do a “normalize” that casts the semi-random number into the max of table length
- index to retrieve the value at a particular cell of another table
I realize that this is NOT the model that Airtable uses so I am open to using a different model but these do have to be separate tables in my schema.
Thanks for any and all help.
p.s. the context is that over the years I’ve built up a fairly complex Excel workbook to generate sample data for use in various UI design projects. I’ve looked into https://mockaroo.com/ but I find it overly complex and I don’t like its workflow. I’d like to port this project from Excel to Airtable.