Hyperlink to File Explorer

Hey!

I use an excel sheet to track my projects and an awesome feature is that I can post a hyperlink to a project folder I have in File Explorer and go directly to the desired folder.

Is there something like that on Airtable? I noticed you can link URL but I haven’t seen anything for file explorer specifically.

Please help!

Hi Victoria,

I did find the location address of a local file (when you go to properties), and I pasted this link to test it. Interesting to see that there is no action to this local link.
I would like this feature as well.

Regards,
André

Because Airtable executes in your browser, you will bump into browser security issues. (By default, modern browsers won’t let scripted apps access local files.) However, you can find plugins/extensions that enable this on a case-by-case basis for most browsers.

Here is a likely out-of-date response I posted a while back regarding creating such links to a Dropbox share. (To the browser, a file on Dropbox or Google Drive looks the same as a local file.) I’ve used the Chrome plugin mentioned successfully off and on for a while; however, it’s currently not installed on either of my primary PCs, so I can’t attest to its remaining current.

Most (all?) of the extensions I’ve tried allow you to create a whitelist of sites where you wish to enable this potentially dangerous security bypass, which lets you limit exposure to a specific Airtable base.

P.S. Don’t bother looking for the rumored Show-and-Tell post. I’m afraid I bogged down in testing the multitude of possible ways to address Dropbox and Google Drive shares in multiple browsers, and never returned to complete it. Fortunately, saying ‘get a plugin’ satisfied 99% of requests.

2 Likes

My teams are now using the desktop version … and I am trying to get the same functionality (select a link to access the project folder). Is there a way to enable this? Sorry to reply such an old thread, but this is exactly what I was looking to do. I would prefer to keep using the desktop app if possible.

Thanks

AFAIK, you can only achieve this by installing a browser plugin as described in this undoubtedly outdated response. (Every now and then I dig up an updated plugin and install it to make sure the instructions are still roughly accurate, but I haven’t tried in at least 9 months.) I’d look for one with a strong whitelist capability and go from there…