IF statement, problem with values format when it includes " "

I’m trying to create a template for a source bibliography that would include punctuation in the formula.

I have multiple fields that will eventually be combined. Can someone tell me why I’m getting an X in Column 1, Row 3, when Column 3, Row 3 is blank? I would have expected that field to be blank.

Here’s my records
AT_Records_punct

Here’s my formula
AT_Formula

Thank you,
Stacey

Hey there - They reason is because you’ve set the condition to equal “Creator &X” if it is not blank

So you’ll actually have the same problem in the first two rows

You would need to change your formula to be:

IF (Census !=BLANK(), "",, Census)

Or some variation of that depending on what you want your end result to be

Keep in mind that there are three parts, all separated by commas:

1. Condition
  2. Output if Condition is True
  3. Output if Condition is False

Hi @Stacey_Cummings, @andywingrave - the problem here is that you can’t use:

Census != BLANK()

Airtable formulas don’t work with !=

Census != BLANK() always evaluates to true, so you need to use:

NOT(Census = BLANK())

JB

2 Likes

Correction to this != does seem to work with number fields (and maybe other things too) - but doesn’t appear to work with != BLANK()

Not sure what is going on under the hood here as it doesn’t throw an error - maybe someone else knows?!

1 Like

Thank you, That was totally messing me up. It worked sometimes and not others (!=). I figured I had something else wrong and been spinning around on that.

I’ve changed my formula to just be = BLANK. Now I’m stuck on something else. Basically I have 10 columns. I need to evaluate each column, if it is BLANK return “”; if it is not blank return ", " and the field. In the end I’ll have all the columns concatenated into a complete Source for a bibliography.

If anyone can point me to an example of something like that; I could try to mimic.

Thanks
Stacey

This thread has some example formulas for concatenation with blank values, depending on whether or not the first field is optional.

2 Likes

This solved my problem, Concatenation Discrepancy Thank you!!! I can now avoid having several different tables for different types of sources too!!

If finally understand what you are talking about. I kept thinking about it :slight_smile: and I didn’t get it. It’s because I have () after Blank, so ) closes the condition and my TRUE is return Creator & X. Got it now.

I see where I got confused about it. In the Formula field reference guide if you search on BLANK

It says
BLANK() Returns a blank value. IF(Price > 1000000, BLANK(), “Wow, that’s pretty expensive”)
Since that formula has BLANK(), I thought you must have to use () after Blank all the time.

Thank you Saastronomical.

Stacey

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.