Importing from external db with duplicate names

Hi, sorry for the long post. I’m new to Airtable, but think I’m getting the hang of Airtable’s assumptions: hide the database keys and use the first column of the table as a psuedo-primary key for the UI.

We are contemplating using airtable as a readonly front-end to our existing database, which is not very UX friendly and is increasingly perceived as a barrier.
I’m using a script that pulls my data into an airtable base with two tables. I can setup a Link field that creates the links as the records are pulled in.
Now, lets say I’m pulling in 2 tables from an sql database, Contacts and Homework. If I’m creating records in airtable by hand, its ok if I have two different contacts with the same name, because airtable is using its internal UUID, but if I pull contacts with the same name via script, the linking breaks.

If I import the primary and foreign keys into Airtable then I can use those to link the tables, but it seems like I lose some Airtabley goodness. For example, if I make the first column of the Contacts table the primary ID and in the Homework table make foreign ID column that is a lookup to the Contacts table, it works. It works but now I’m clicking on IDs to see related data.

Now, If I have Contact Name as first column in Contacts table and have Homework lookup to that, in cases where there are duplicate contact names and I run my import, it incorrectly matches all Homework to the first of the duplicate contacts.

I imagine maybe I could create the first table, keep track of the UUIDs Airtable has created and use those to link the second table?

This topic was solved and automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.