There are a number of task management features that Airtable needs in order to fully replace other popular apps.
I think the best dedicated task management app is MeisterTask (like Trello), which has a superb UI and functional design. I recommend paying close attention to what they’ve done—then consider ways Airtable could imitate (and improve upon!) some of that design.
Here are some specific features for better task management:
- Checklists - This is already a highly demanded feature request. Checklists could be another field type or an automatic component of all records. (MeisterTask checklists are fast and easy, with template options!)
- Email Addresses for Records - Automatically assign an email address for each record, so emails can be sent and stored in a record. Once again, this could be built into each record or added as its own field type.
- Stack and Card Customization - The kanban and gallery views would both benefit from adjustable sizing and placement options; the width of cards and stacks should be adjustable; the visible fields on cards should be configurable. I suggest these display options for each field: fit within fractions of the card width (1/4, 1/3, 1/2, or full), fit within a number of lines down, wrap info, shrink-to-fit, and ‘display everything’.
- Card Functionality - To further improve card-style views, the visible fields should be clickable and editable without having to open the full record. All white space can still be used to drag the card or open the record.
- Side-by-Side Record Views - Already a popular feature request. I suggest this for widescreen displays: open full record views on the left side of the screen. If a second full record is opened, display it on the right, then repeat this pattern for each new record opened. Alternatively, enable users to click and drag the location of the full record view.
- Form Validation - Enforce data validation when users fill out a form. If it requires an email address, prevent users from submitting the form until the proper email syntax is entered. Do the same for all applicable fields.
- Form Notifications - Enable customized email notifications for form respondents and workspace collaborators
- Phone options - the phone version needs significantly more functionality, but for now it just needs the ability to duplicate records and settings.