2294 7
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan_Warner
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m looking to reference the name of a field as a string in a formula field and can’t figure out how to do it.

For example

I have fields {Size} and {Formula}.
I have 1 record where {Size} = 5. I want my formula field for record one to display, “Size: 5” and I want it to work dynamically so that if I change the name of the {Size} field to {height}, then result will automatically update to “Height: 5”. Basically, is it possible to reference a field name in a formula?

Thanks for your help!

7 Replies 7

No, AFAIK it’s not possible.

Ok thanks, I’ve been looking all over for it so at least I didn’t miss it.

TFP
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m also looking for this.

Still not possible?

No, this is not possible.

You could just create a separate formula field (“Field B”) that results in the single word you’re looking for, and then reference that field’s results in your other formula (“Field A”). Then, if you want to change the name in the future, change the formula field (“Field B”), and all the pointing formulas (“Field A” and other fields) will update as well.

TFP
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It won’t scale. I’m trying to dynamically read either labelFR or labelEN based on some language (fr/en) variable. I could go with your solution, which is basically a if/else, but it’ll become unmaintainable as soon as another language is added.

Pskopnik_Sw
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We’ve got a similar use-case as the earlier posters, we want to build a formula based on field names constructed from another field.
We use that for representing reminders on an irregular schedule (e.g. 1st after 3 d, 2nd after additional 8 d, 3rd after additional 15 d) where each reminder is a formula field based on the previous one. A SWITCH statement would be rather complicated, because we also got an “overwrite” field per reminder where the team can adjust the reminders time.

Something like Google Sheet’s INDIRECT would be super useful for this.

Currently, we use a workaround: After pre-fetching the relevant records, we build the full filtering formula in the external tool and run another search with this filtering formula.

Jon_Techilovsky
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yes please I would like this as well. Being able to use the value from another field in a formula string would be really useful.