Introducing Interface Designer 🎉

Thank you for the feedback @Mathias_Elmose ! We’re so glad you’re excited about Interface Designer. Our team is looking closely at our existing permissions structure, which we hope will make it easier to manage clients or collaborators who don’t need full access to your Airtable Base but do need to contribute to your workflow. Stay tuned!

5 Likes

This is incredibly good news!! The lack of meaningful permission features is the biggest collaboration pain point in Airtable! It is the primary reason we had to par-back our use of Airtable and eventually led to the death of our airtable tool. So excited to hear more!! :drooling_face::drooling_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This is an excellent addition to Airtable - well done! I spent a bit of time drafting one up and I can already think of so many ways interfaces will help streamline workflows. Interfaces are simply more intuitive than row-based processing for most people; I think a lot of people at my company are going to be very happy with this!

2 Likes

Hi Jordan,

Is a form element for interfaces on the roadmap? I would love to see some native functionality which accomplishes similar data validation as that demoed within Kuovonnes previously posted interface video.

1 Like

Congratulations to the entire Airtable team. This is a HUGE release and I’m so excited about it.

I have a few questions:

1. Will there be a separate Interface Designer forum category where we can ask questions and submit feedback?
  2. How do we participate in the conditional/branching logic beta test? I didn’t see that in my current automations.

Thanks again to the Airtable team for all of the hard work to get us here!

2 Likes

Can we share outside our circle of paid members? Or is that what this is intended for?

Hi @Allen_Moldovan :wave:

Thank you for the feedback! We are exploring lots of different elements we could add to Interface Designer over time - including views and forms - so stay tuned for more updates to come.

2 Likes

Hi Again,

Thanks for the quick response and transparency! I’m looking forward to seeing what the team comes up with. I’ll be hawking the announcements category!

1 Like

Hi @ScottWorld :tada:

Right now, you can access elements like Record list from the layout that is built to support that workflow. As we continue to build this feature, we’ll provide more flexibility in how you can set up your interfaces to make sure you can build exactly what you need! Lots of exciting updates coming :slight_smile:

1 Like

How can I get access to "beta for adding branching logic to an automation’s actions

Here’s another sample interface that I built for viewing and editing data across three linked tables, including adding and deleting linked records.

8 Likes

I played a bit with this last night before I went to bed, and it was the first thing on my mind when I woke up. So excited about the possibilities!

2 Likes

Same here. I played with it a bit last night. And then I woke up wanting to build out the two use cases that I have demoed. Even with this initial set of features, there is a lot of power to make workflows easier. I am even more excited to see what improvements are rolled out over the course of the upcoming year.

4 Likes

It would be good to have the ability to add new records in the ‘records list’. Perhaps based on some kind of permissioning system.

1 Like

Two great videos today, @kuovonne! :smiley: :raised_hands:

I hope that Airtable can fix that issue of the linked records from 2 child tables away not clearing out when you switch to a different parent record. It looks like it will update linked records from 1 child table away, but not 2 tables away.

@Jordan_Scott1 This would probably be a good issue to share with the developers.

@Nathalie_Collins At this time, you can only share with your existing collaborators. There is a more detailed support article if you’d like to take a look as well. Hope this is helpful!

1 Like

Incredible to see this sort of non-stop productive updates from a company during covid. Thank you guys for adding this!

I’ve jumped in so far… really impressed so far, I only wish there was the ability to add new records from record list views within the interface!

2 Likes

There seems to be a bug with the Timeline feature when it is connected to a record list. At least in one of my bases.

When I create a Timeline Element and set the Source as the ‘Record list’, only a small number of Fields are available. It seems to be the Fields that are linked to other tables in the bases. Then, when trying to set the ‘Date setting’, nothing is available to select, even though the tab has multiple date fields.

Maybe I’m just not understanding how this works?

Hello @Jordan_Scott1

I am AIRTABLE Pro paid Plan and the only Editor of my Bases.

Here’s my Original Table & Content : text & pictures as usual in my AIRTABLE most frequent use cases…

I made my tests by sharing my first interfaces attempts in readOnly mode with my spam email address as one says on certain social networks Apps :grin:

This user (it is me too) previously unknown of AIRTABLE opened my email, clicked on my link of interface sharing and obtained it in his workspace

after having made a SignUp towards a new AIRTABLE Free Tier, which is in fact a trial of 14 days of a Pro Tier.

All this works very well : very better show UX than ever got from some third-part Grids, Galleries interfaces I tried before learning html/CSS/js by the hard way (Work In Progress).

except that this User can see all my Base, all that it contains, because of 2 links to reach this Base present in the new AIRTABLE Interface UI

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 23.38.33

and

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 23.38.44

I would like these links and SHARE button never exist in that shared Interface real estate (subsequent to REACT Components reUsability ?) but it is out-of-scope of this message.

Does the visibility of my Interface generated from my Pro Plan Account but shared with an email address that just opened an Airtable Free-Tier account to enjoy it in Read-Only mode get an unlimited LifeTime or will it disappear after 14 days, at the end of the 14 days Trial of the new Free Tier involved in this test?

How long will I be able to share some new Interfaces with that AIRTABLE Free Tier as I’m publishing from my Pro Plan AIRTABLE account ?

I totally agree to spent more money involving my present Pro Tier to AIRTABLE in a future end of BETA time, but I would continue to share free ReadOnly interfaces to Free-Tiers as I’m already doing that with my shared & embedded VIEWs, from a long time, and outside of any AIRTABLE workspace, Free or Paid Plan : WEB Browser is enough to take a look at any of my shared readOnly VIEWS.
But new AIRTABLE Interface Designer is such better than any existing GRID, GAL, KANBAN existing VIEW that I definitely prefer continue building new Airtable Interfaces !

Regards,

olπ

2 Likes

Seems like Interfaces follows all Base permissions so: If you have a read-only user, they are read only until you remove them. All Airtable “accounts” are free, you are charged by the workspaces you own. Users you add to your base/interface don’t disappear from the base/interface when their trial ends because they’re trial is irrelevant to the base for which you made the interface.

2 Likes