Is there a way to black out a cell?

Is there a way to black out a cell to indicate that the cell is intentionally empty (as opposed to not filled in yet)?

Hi @Katherine_Vantosh - you can’t black out a cell, but you can highlight the record. There are a couple of ways of doing this (at least):

1. If you are on the Pro plan you can use the conditional colours:

Which gives you the coloured vertical bars at the LHS of each record:

1. You could create your own formula field that displays when the Value field is empty:

Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 21.25.16

using the formula:

IF(NOT(Value), '⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️')

JB

Great - I am on the Pro plan and this is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

Hi @JonathanBowen -
Trying to implement your great suggestions and now that I’m deeper into the problem, I realize I didn’t properly explain the nuance of what I am needing …

I am very new to Airtable and I apologize if my questions or Airtable-specific vocabulary reflects that! Here’s a more detailed explanation of what I was hoping to do …

I’m making an Airtable spreadsheet for investment properties that my husband and I own. The initial table of information includes all of the data that you find on a typical county “Property Record Card”, which is primarily information pertaining to taxes. I am trying to include historic data going back to when we purchased the property (the first of which was purchased in 2017, so thankfully not too far back). The columns I have that relate to historic tax data are as follows: 2017 Tax to County; 2017 Tax to City; 2018 Tax to County; 2018 Tax to City; 2019 Tax to County; 2019 Tax to City; 2020 Tax to County; 2020 Tax to City. Clearly, if we owned the property back to 2017, I will have data to fill in the cells for every aforementioned column. However, I clearly don’t want to record data that doesn’t pertain to us (i.e. data collected before we took ownership of the property). I was hoping there was a way that I could direct Airtable to highlight the fields that are not applicable to the question?

For example, if we bought Property E on 4/23/19, I was hoping I could say something along the lines of: if a property was purchased during 2019, it is not necessary to collect data for prior years. If 2019 is entered as the year, please automatically make the cells relating to 2018 & 2017 incapable of receiving data (or highlight them in some way to that I automatically know not to gather unnecessary data). In other words, I would like to be able to look at the spreadsheet and know that blank cells represent work that remains to be done!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.