Is there a way to clear/empty a field with a Zap update?

I’m trying to use a find/update zap to automate a record update in Airtable, Some empty fields need to get new data, some get updates and others need to be cleared. The Zap correctly adds the new and updated data, but I can’t figure out how to DELETE data from the fields that I want emptied (which are date fields). With other numeric fields, it’s easy to just set the update value to “0”, but this doesn’t seem to work for date formatted fields.

I’ve tried
=0
0/0/0000
0000-00-00
=BLANK()
Null
Creating an empty dummy field and setting the value equal to that

No luck.

I asked Zapier first, thinking they might have some special formula or syntax to use for this kind of thing, but they told me it’s restricted on the Airtable side and overwriting with blanks isn’t permitted.

I thought I’d ask here in case anyone else has come up with a solution/hack to clear/empty/erase a cell or make it “null”. Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi @Anneka_K - that is something our On2Air: Actions product solves. You can use __BLANK__ and it will clear out that field.

Otherwise I’m not aware of any other approach.

0 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

0 Likes

@Anneka_K, I don’t know if this will actually work, but did you try empty quotation marks?

Try telling Zapier:

{Date Field} = ""
0 Likes

Thanks Jeremy, I tried but it doesn’t seem to work … I think it did at one point for Text fields, but even that isn’t working any more.

1 Like