Link to other base

+1 We would be able to support multiple levels of user/role access if we had this capability and could extend our use of airtable considerably

+1 We’re trying to find the balance between usability (not having 100s of tables in a base) and power (having different departments all rolling their projects up to company wide efforts and this seems to be the missing link.

+1

It would be great if Airtable could at least give us some indication that this is being explored and a timeframe. It’s honestly the one feature that I think is holding Airtable back from broader uses.

Ps. Otherwise love the product and have been using for quite some time now at work and at home.

@Katherine_Duh @Andrew @Airtable_Team +1 It is highly disconcerting that no one from the company addresses this enormous thread and highly vocal demand. Like most, i’m a paying customer and happy to stay one, but need this functionality.

@Katherine_Duh There is a straight-forward common thread in all the use cases. The vast majority of use cases I’m reading here have to do with data normalization and reuse of functionality. People don’t want to duplicate the same data and features across different bases.

It’s pretty simple, IMO:

• If I have a list of people, I don’t want to recreate my CRM functionality across multiple bases and have duplication.
  • If I have a list of products, I don’t want to recreate my entire product-catalog functionality across multiple bases and have duplication.

Most relational databases allow you to link across databases, and some even allow you to link across database servers. This may be restricted to virtual views, read-only access, or whatever. But it is an essential feature when working with complex database, which I’m sure most of your customers evolve into over time.

I haven’t read every post here, but reading several of the recent posts, it seems like an update on your considerations and status on this would be greatly appreciated.

I thought that this idea was so self explanatory that I submitted a support request thinking I was too dumb to find the feature. I second this request.

+1 from here - need this so badly.

Waiting for this feature

@Katherine_Duh - having thought about this for a couple of days, the most elegant solution in my mind would be the ability to “import a view” of a table from one base to another.

If I’m in Base A, I could have a table from Base B represented in A as a read-only, dynamically-updating view. I could then use those records in Base A. Users in Base A would have read-only view access to that table.

Then you could have a feature that shows where else a table is being used, e.g., the Base B team can see that one of their tables has been imported to 3 other Bases, and be in touch with those teams if they’re making a schema change, for instance.

+1

When was the last time someone from @Airtable addressed this question?
I tried reaching out on Twitter but didn’t receive a reply.

+1 As @Javid_Jamae said, the ability to NOT recreate the same data across different bases (products, for example).

I am sure Airtable does understand the importance of this feature but they are not able to figure out the right solution I guess.

+1 for solutions that allow data to be shared between bases. Our use cases are similar to others described above. For example, we would like to start a secondary base for a social media intern to draft posts and we would like the secondary base to pull some data (social handles but not sensitive info) from the CRM in our primary base. Ideally, the intern would have the ability to update those social handles, pushing the change back to the CRM, although that’s not the priority. Having the data flow from our CRM to the Intern’s base is the more important priority. We’re excited to see if this is something that can happen someday in Airtable. Thanks.

So we can’t link databases as of now? How about linking information from columns?

I think this would be a MAJOR win for Airtable users. Please consider it!!

This is the most significant missing feature I’ve noticed since I started using Airtable recently.

Please add this feature, major hassle at the moment…

This feature will unlock so much potential for me and my team.
Actually, the main reason a part of my team considers moving to Monday,
is because of the clutter we’ll have if we decide to manage all our projects on one base (with all of the other tables).

I’ve been on and off thinking that I can use Airtable for the last 7 months to replace my existing solution. This is yet another feature than pains me.

Base cross linking lets me keep my static info(admin base) protected from the data entry base(used by everyone). Additionally, this would help greatly with managing the number of tables in a single base, its a bit tedious scrolling through all my many tables.

Any updates on this? Does airtable have a timeline for implementation? This would be a huge benefit…