Link to other base

Guys, you can connect your data in Fibery, I think this is useful review for sure https://medium.com/fibery/fibery-vs-airtable-8e6bd0e6ca79

2 Likes

For my company, this is all about permissions. Stacker looks amazing, but I think Airtable is leaning too heavily on 3rd party support. It makes Airtable even more expensive to use, especially when you add up several 3rd party apps and some charge per record.

Please create granular permissions that provide the following functionality:

1. Permissions can be granted/removed by: Table, View, Field, and record

2. Access to VIEW can be granted or removed separately from edit access.

3. Permission profiles can be customized and collaborators be assigned to a profile giving a range of users the same permissions. Additionally, it would be great to then be able to edit the individuals permissions after assigning the permission profile (essentially using the permission profile as a template).

We are grateful for the efforts to implement permissions, but those recently implemented mostly just protect against someone editing data on accident or maliciously. The functionality of Airtable was not expanded significantly. The added security is nice, but not game changing.

5 Likes

Thanks, this is a really good review. I wanted to get into Fibery, but first wanted a deep dive that tells its strengths and weaknesses in details. This review seems to do just that. Even more surprising that it’s written by the CEO and he’s not sugarcoating any of Fibery’s weaknesses, which gives me more confidence to try it out actually

1 Like

For me its actually all points (sorry for being so needy…)

Two bases. Base A and Base B. Base A is the master containing ALL details for ALL employees within the company, base B is a sub-base that I will send out to external companies, such as a travel agent to book hotels for the employees when they are on a certain job, so needs to be editable but not effect the data in Base A(which is a kind of default). So I would need a feature in base B to pull certain fields from base A. ‘Link Fields 1, 2 and 3 from Base A, Table 1 when the value in Base A, Table 1 Field 4 is EXAMPLE JOB’. Base B would then become populated with only the details the travel agent needed, protecting certain private details of the employees.

Within Base A, I would also like to only grant access/views of some fields to certain people. For example, Managers should have access to all data within the base - but Juniors should not be able to see the field regarding individuals salaries, but do need to be able to edit the contact details of every employee.

5 Likes

+1 for linking tables across different bases.

As noted by other people, higher granularity permissions and even aggregation + hiding of tables tab won’t resolve the need.
Collapsing all company’s bases into one means over loaded base which would serve poorly our company users (even if permissions are there it would be extremely hard to manage).
Compartmentalizing using bases is one of AT strength points and we’d better not sacrifice it.

4 Likes

Another approach that might work, depending of your use case, is to sync bases instead of linking them.
I built a tool internally and now it’s in beta, you can have a look here.
In short you can set exactly which records, fields, or view you want to sync with the other bases. And automate it to sync update every minute so it’s always up to date. It sync changes two-way as well.

5 Likes

Also desperately needing to link bases.

Ill use a third party app to get going, but it’s a must for me.

5 Likes

I was going to build a similar tool out of frustration. Thanks for this. It fills a massive gap and I’ll try your product out.

2 Likes

I think the biggest issue here is the total lack of communication on the #1 most popular forum topic in Airtable’s forum. They could answer definitively that they have no plans to do this, etc. I am not clear why there is a such a lack of transparency on something that clearly people want. It is hard to make decisions related to a product when you don’t know where it’s going.

6 Likes

This topic started in 2015 and is still open ? It is one of the first features I am struggling with. Can anyone give me a few idea where I can invite someone outside my company to have access to a base where I am only sharing one table ? That they can see and edit. I also need to hide fields from them. This is why I thought I could share specific data from one base to another.

2 Likes

It is one of the first features I am struggling with. Can anyone give me a few idea where I can invite someone outside my company to have access to a base where I am only sharing one table ? That they can see and edit. I also need to hide fields from them. This is why I thought I could share specific data from one base to another.

1 Like

Unfortunately, and very frustratingly for 5 years now, you can’t do that. It’s all or nothing. If you allow someone to be able to edit one table, they will be able to:

• view ALL tables in that base
  • view ALL fields
  • view ALL views

You can restrict if they can edit specific fields by using field edit permissions.

So weird that Airtable is just silent on this. Just hope Microsoft Lists is a good alternative when it launches, because I’m getting the heck outta here

4 Likes

Hi guys,

Airtable is really a great product, my congratulations. The perceived weakest point of Airtable is blocks connection. I don’t know if it’s a strategy decision or just a technical matter you would solve later. In the meanwhile I though a simple shortcut.i In this case the problem is mainly customer perception, since you could put all the tables in a base. Therefore, if you could just add a tag field associated to each table, so you could group by the tables and see the table in multiple “sub-bases”.
Just an example, you are designing your startup organization tool on airtable. You would have a “sub-base” for accounting, for hr, operations, communication and so on, you could use a same table (as contancts) for many sub-bases, or still make a complete summary report.

Thanks,

Luigi

3 Likes

Hey! I am throwing my support in here for linking between bases. I am new to Airtable but not to social media or digital asset managers. I am using Airtable to manage the social media assets and calendars of a non-profit that I am working with. I am using two bases - the Digital Asset Manager and the Social Media Calendar. Both of which are base templates that were provided by Airtable and SHOULD work together seamlessly. I should be able to look in the DAM and see all the times that asset was used on the social media calendar. I should be able to write a post in the SMC and have it pull in an asset that exists in the DAM.

I’m incredibly disappointed that I can’t do this. I know there are lots of use cases for Airtable but honestly, for these two bases in particular, this is basic, essential functionality. Not being able to do this is cutting the usefulness of this tool in half, at least. It’s also doubling my work because I have to upload an asset in two different places.

Please consider implementing this at your earliest convenience.

5 Likes

A super important feature tbh.
I echo the sentiments expressed by all from 2015 to date. Looking forward to this feature release :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was thinking of using more of Airtable. But finding an easier way of linking between databases in Notion. So I am thinking of upgrading my notion membership since it does linking between bases. Was able to create separate databases for people, projects, tasks & meetings. And link between them to create dashboards and linked records. Feel like Notion has a better flexibility but Airtable is more user friendly but missing important features.

Notion costs $4 instead of $10. So that potentially is some money saved. Weighing the pro’s and con’s in my head. Might actually start using Notion instead of Airtable.

1 Like

Thank you, will look into Notion too. This is too critical to be missing from Airtable.

1 Like