cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shiran
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there!

I have a list of students in my ‘home’ table but I need a separate table for some of these students that have extra requirements (I’m aware I could have it all in the same table and just filter/group/sort but I’m looking to share this separate table with people who only need access to the extra students and not the others.

How can I link the records (first column is Names of the students) between the two tables so I can add Lookup columns for the relevant info I do want to share in the separate table?

Been trying to figure this out for a while and couldn’t because it’s not a relationship between two different records but the same one, just in another location. Any help is appreciated!!
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Replies 3
Zollie
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Shiran! If you’d like to share the student data with someone that only needs partial access:

(1) Create a view for that user with unnecessary records filtered and columns hidden. If you’re ok with this user also being able to unhide that data, you can stop here.

(2) But if you’d like to restrict their ability to look beyond that view, then create a share link. The downside is that share links don’t permit editing since any user with edit permissions can see all data in the base. But you also won’t have to pay for this user.

As for linked records, I don’t think they’ll help you here. It’s definitely possible to create one to one relationships, but you wouldn’t be preventing anyone from accessing data in the other table. Users could just as easily click the other table and poke around. In other words, it’s no different than (1), the user is just clicking a table rather than a view. But it’s a poor substitute for views because it introduces data redundancy. Here’s a previous discussion related to adding additional tables. Best of luck :slightly_smiling_face:

shiran
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey Zollie! Thanks for your quick reply :slightly_smiling_face: I understand now that what I’m looking for is to have the ‘same’ column in two different tables, for example a column of names. Not just copy & paste them but if I change the name (the cell of that particular column) in one table, it also changes it in the other table. So I don’t want to create a link because that implies a relationship, but ‘simply’ viewing/editing the content of one particular column in two different tables within the same base. Is that possible somehow?
Thank you!

So once two records are linked to each other, there are some other special fields you can make use of too. The one I think you’re describing here is a lookup field. The field will only be editable in one of the two tables to ensure a “single source of truth.”